Sky Map integrating Google Firebase Analytics

The exodus report detected Google Firebase analytics εxodus, and even when starting the app, a popup about “Google analytics” is displayed. The tracking seems to be disabled by default, but it is weird to find this in F-Droid, without it even marked with an anti feature. What to other people think?

Run `scan-binary` on a full repo/archive mirror (#1004) · Issues · F-Droid / fdroidserver · GitLab those are stubs, look like Analytics but empty.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

So there is nothing to worry about, these warnings are just useless and there is nothing to worry about because tracking is disabled?

Should I open an issue on the exodus side about those false positives?

No, the scanner can’t really detect that the classes/methods are dummy, just that they have the same name.

In the future, our scanner will ignore known stubs.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, would there not be a way to remove this dummy classes/methods? Because it just seems to bloat the app…

And again are the classes are dummy, can I imply there is no risk for the users in terms of tracking/privacy with Google Analytics?

The idea is that from the same codebase the dev can publish to both Play and F-Droid. The dummy classes are used only for F-Droid so the code just does nothing as opposed to crashing or even not being able to be built.

1 Like

All right, I think I understood :slight_smile: Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.