SHTF Laptop, o.O

Anyone out there have some off-the-cuff recommendations for a post (and present) apocalypse SHTF situation laptop?
I pretty much am looking for something like what I already have, Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM, but just with not so much monopoly in the brains i.e. OS & with some actual armor; I’m tired of handling my laptop like I handle a CD.

Even If I ventured to pay the $!$!$! for a Librem 5, I wouldn’t see a tracking number for my order until after big brother has turned me into a mindless barcode # or the zombies have started feasting on my mendulla oblongata. As much as I would like one, I need practicality over perfection(or near to).

Below is a list I was looking at (which is somewhat of a vague copy my Aspire), but being a peasant to most anything computers I thought why not ask the lords/pros; that’s you:

-Durable Case (does not have to be like present day slim case & flush keys for size reduction)

• ~14.5’’ screen
    -Longish battery life
    -simple repair parts (which includes programming, I actually expect to try an put Linux Mint on it for future ability to do repairs myself; once I learn how to code * SMH *).
    -Good amount of variety & quantity of present & potential future style of connections e.g. USB-C, USB, HDMI, Cat 8e, USB 3.1, SD card slot, etc
    -Decent amount of hard drive memory
    -CD player?
    -audio jack
    -good processor?
    -anything else I missed that you think is important in a SHTF situation, or in general for a laptop

Even If I ventured to pay the $!$!$! for a Librem 5

Seems offtopic, but because you mentioned Librem 5, a phone

like I handle a CD

Flashback to 1999. :laughing:

off-the-cuff recommendations

Pinebook Pro is moderately tough, repairable, not terribly slow, and has decent battery life.

SHTF

Like “Threat Model,” needs definition. :laughing:

1 Like

Old Thinkpad, Core/Libre boot, etc?

1 Like

My mistake.
I meant to write Librem 14; damn autocorrect.

Which by the way, it says it has all this and a bag of chips:

Hardware
With an Intel processor you get years of coreboot development and a disabled Intel Management engine. Energy efficient Intel UHD Graphics powerful enough for 4K video, light graphics processing and 3D gaming.

Up to 64GB DDR4 memory
CPU – 6 cores & 12 threads
Memory card reader, USB 3.1 type-A and USB 3.1 type-C w/ PD, HDMI 2
High quality aluminum chassis
Full size backlit keyboard with plenty of key travel

Librem 14 right profile Librem 14 left profile
Tenth Generation Intel Processor
Six Cores, Twelve Threads, 4.70Ghz i7-10710U Intel Processor Processors are essential—they are called central processing units, for a reason. Selecting Intel based processors, the tenth generation mobile version, offers the best battery life while not compromising speed and supporting the open source coreboot BIOS. In using the latest from Intel, processor-hungry applications finish at lightning speed.
Kill Switches

Our unique hardware kill switches to physically disconnect the camera and mic (including the headphone jack mic) or wireless and Bluetooth
Purism Kill Switches

No more tape over your web cam
Be confident that no one is listening or watching

PureBoot and Librem Key

Unprecedented security, no other laptop comes close to the protection offered by a Librem
Librem Key

Disabled the Intel Management engine
Less binary blob firmware and disabled manufacturer backdoors
Write-protected BIOS and EC chips using hardware switches
Detect software and hardware tampering with PureBoot and the Librem Key

Do these look like they would hold up in a world of Mad Max SHTF landscape?

We can read sites too…what was the point of the marketing copy/pasta?

Threat Model pls!

1 Like

Marketing???

At the very bottom is my reason for the copy:

" Do these look like they would hold up in a world of Mad Max SHTF landscape? "

Threat model??
Is that short for " What kind of SHTF situation ".
Well seeing as how I can’t remember (damn drugs, ruined my memory) to well the last time I survived a Planet Earth Apocalypse (If you know of someone, let them know I’m interested in meeting up for slice & a chat), it is a little hard for me to describe the exact “Threat Model” but I would ASSUME that the Threat Model would be something along the lines of:
Daily constant vibration, dusty/dirty environment, periods of limited recharge, possibly having to make connections (hardware & software wise) between older (our present) technology and newer advanced technology, excruciatingly limited support for debugging & upgrading OS software if any, dealing with possible ongoing EMP threat environment, maybe hacking attacks?, and nothing says threat like daily attacks from the living dead, monster giants, and killer aliens.

I’m not sure if that is what you guys mean by Threat Model…?? o.O

Just my half pence…

When I was in the Navy on a fast attack nuclear submarine, we used Panasonic Tough books. They aren’t waterproof, but pretty good at being water resistant.

When I got out, my kids broke their HP school laptop in the first month, so I bought a refurbished toughbook. Two years later, its still working great.

Feels like it weighs 8000 lbs, but it might come in handy if you need a blunt object to hit zombies with, or if you need a stand in plate for your bullet proof vest.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.