Respecting RFC 5321

Why do projects, such as F-Droid, break RFC 5321? Mailbox local-parts are case sensitive.

1 Like

Where exactly do you see this?

1 Like

Please read my post again…

From section 2.4:

The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive.
Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case
of mailbox local-parts. In particular, for some hosts, the user
“smith” is different from the user “Smith”. However, exploiting the
case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and
is discouraged. Mailbox domains follow normal DNS rules and are
hence not case sensitive.

I have been operating my private mailserver for like 20 years and I remember case sensitivity was default for the server software I was using, perhaps still is for some implementations. However, the general public is not aware of the RFC’s that govern their inboxes. People just type email addresses without paying attention to case sensitivity and as a result of bounces administrators commonly configure their mail server to be case insensitive when receiving emails. So I don’t see violating that rule as a problem, but anyway I made it a habit to always type email addresses lowercase.

1 Like

Am I lost in translation here?

Where exactly IN F-DROID RELATED STUFF do you see this?

F-Droid Forum sends emails with lowercase local-parts.

1 Like

I guess this is a Discourse feature/issue, can this be setup otherwise?

Also, what is the usecase exactly, do you have both John.Doe@domain and john.doe@domain and they’re separate?

And, around the web, how much is this point of the RFC respected exactly?

I do not know whether Discourse can be setup otherwise. Skimming source code shows hard-coded lowercasing. So, F-Droid does not respect this RFC because it uses broken software; fair excuse.

Trivia: Wikimedia donation processing does not respect the RFC; PayPal does.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.