Here is the thing. With the privileged extension installed, here are the steps to installing an app:
- Click the “Install” button.
- Wait for the app to download
- After the app downloads, you will see an “Install” button
- Do not click the second Install button. (That button is for installing WITHOUT the privileged extension).
- The app will install automatically.
Without the privileged extension, you have to:
- Click “Install”
- Wait for the app to download.
- You will see a second “Install” button.
- Click the second “Install” button
- An Android system dialog will popup asking you if you want to Install
- You will click Install on that system dialog
- The app will install.
The procedure for installing apps without the privileged extension only works with “Allow Unknown Sources” checked in settings even if the privileged extension is installed. Further, once you click that second install button, F-Droid will not install the app until
A) You download it from a different repository (such as a friends phone)
B) It clears its cache and redownloads the app
C) You turn on “Allow Unknown Sources” and install normally (ignoring the privileged extension)
Also, a phone does not have to be rooted to use the modern versions of the privileged extension.
I hope this helps.