Prevent google play store from proposing updates to f-droid installed apps

No, the signature acts like a security feature, you can get the APK from apkpure/apkmonk/apkmirror/fdroid and if it matches you are safe. (as far as I understand, barring if they found another way to inject malware, eg. F-Droid and the Janus Vulnerability | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository )

Thanks. One thing Iā€™ve learned with age, donā€™t shy away from asking questions. Thanks again,

1 Like

Ok, thanks. So the chance of receiving a compromised apk through the janus exploit or similar is maybe not completely 0%, but really low.
My main concern is solved and I can re-enable auto-updates and allow updates from whatever store.

That might depend: F-Droid and the Janus Vulnerability | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I, for one, would not go and ā€œallow updates from whatever storeā€

I actually meant either Google Play or F-Droid. These are pretty safe I think, certainly for apps which are available in both stores.

I have Tor Browser for Android (Alpha) 60.4.0 downloaded from F-Droid. I can update it to 60.5.0 from the Play Store. [I assume they have the same signatures.(?) I have ā€œInclude incompatible versionsā€ off. Iā€™m guessing this app falls under the exception, like the Guardian Project apps.] I donā€™t like to assume. Iā€™ll wait for F-Droid to catch up.

Tor Browser for Android is hosted on Guardian but itā€™s directly from TorProject, and yes itā€™s the same APK.

Ahhh. Thanks for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.