Parler - can we put it in the store?

Not sure how to go about doing this, but with the censorship crew at Apple and Google removing Parler it would be nice to have an alternate host up to help this free speech outlet. It would be great if it could be hosted here.

1 Like

Please check our inclusion policy here: Inclusion Policy | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository. If the app complies with it, file an issue here: Issues · F-Droid / Requests For Packaging · GitLab.

Thank you. I sent this info to Parler.

Let’s rehash the Gab situation in 3…2…1 :slight_smile:
But hey, at least make it FOSS, first

1 Like

But hey, at least make it FOSS, first

I just checked what it is. Freedom, transparency, ethics, bla-bla-bla, all through a proprietary app. LOL

2 Likes

Here’s a statement of F-Droid about a website that seems to have a similar approach like Parler:

Some quote from the statement:

F-Droid won’t tolerate oppression or harassment against marginalized groups. Because of this, it won’t package nor distribute apps that promote any of these things. This includes that it won’t distribute an app that promotes the usage of previously mentioned website, by either its branding, its pre-filled instance domain or any other direct promotion. This also means F-Droid won’t allow oppression or harassment to happen at its communication channels, including its forum. In the past week, we failed to fulfill this goal on the forum, and we want to apologize for that.

Not to fear since Google has decided to kill it you can still get the .apk from the Parler web site and install it yourself. Scroll all the way down to the bottom. Freedom shall not be hindered by anyone.

https://parler.com/auth/access

Deplatforming is not censorship.
Nazibois need to just go suck on their little gunzy-wunzies, just suck it.
Deplatforming is not censorship.

2 Likes

Actually, I think this whole issue is closed since the app is not FLOSS.
But I would like to give my opinion on this issue, if these social networks are flooded with people with a certain ideology, it is precisely because Big Tech ban, either directly or indirectly, their voice (yes, even moderated voices). I think we can all agree that these corporations have a distinctive ideology and are trying to promote it. But that doesn’t mean that everyone on these alternative social networks is an extremist, and these social networks should not be denied in a community that calls itself “free” just because there are some like that.

On Twitter we can find right-wing extremists who are from Islamic countries speaking out and fomenting hatred and violence (even important politicians) without Twitter seeming to care, far-left extremists too, of course… We can find China openly declaring how they have managed to stop the Uyghur women (a Muslim people which China is literally enslaving) from being a “baby factory” after going through their “re-education camps” and Twitter seems not to care.
So, should F-Droid also reject applications that connect to Twitter?

In my opinion, unfortunately I see a lot of double standards and a lot of hypocrisy when dealing with these issues in the best Internet community (the FLOSS community!) I wish everyone would take a totally non-political and unifying path. And that includes the EFF, FSF and others… which, unfortunately, even if not excessively, are promoting certain political ideas which, ironically, are very similar to the ideas of the big corporations, the same ones that they claim to fight.

Thanks for reading.

Nazibois need to just go suck on their little gunzy-wunzies, just suck it.

Before anyone with a short-sighted mind accuses me of something, I want to say that I like to listen to every voice and opinion in order to form and develop a better opinion, I invite you not to be like this guy. I consider myself quite moderate.

1 Like

Thank you. I was not aware it was not FOSS. Maybe this ordeal will help them or other twitter alternatives to become FOSS.

Until this is FOSS there’s nothing to talk about

4 Likes