Old versions of Orgzly missing from F-Droid & F-Droid Archive

I’m trying to download an old version of Orgzly but it seems almost all versions are missing. I can only see the last 3 versions (1.8.7 - 1.8.9) from the F-Droid repo and 3 very old versions (1.4.11 - 1.4.13) from the F-Droid Archive repo.

Is this a problem with my F-Droid Classic or are these versions missing for everyone and why? They aren’t showing up on the F-Droid website either.

They are removed due to a non-free dep.

1 Like

Am I understanding correctly that this is because of Dropbox phoning home?

Sorry, Gitlab is broken in my desktop browser and the issue page is way too long to understand when reading on my phone.

com.orgzly

Scanning:

DEBUG: Starting new HTTPS connection (1): reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org
DEBUG: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org:443 "GET /api/trackers HTTP/1.1" 200 None
DEBUG: 428 trackers signatures loaded
INFO: Scanning APK with dexdump for known non-free classes.
DEBUG: > /home/fdroid/android-sdk-linux/build-tools/30.0.3/dexdump /tmp/tmp0qrxrtg6/classes.dex
DEBUG: Found class 'com/google/android/gms/gcm/GcmTaskService'
DEBUG: Found class 'com/google/android/gms/gcm/Task'
DEBUG: Found class 'com/google/android/gms/gcm/GcmNetworkManager'
CRITICAL: Found problems in com.orgzly_161.apk
WARNING: Scanner found 3 problems in com.orgzly_161.apk:

Our old friend com.evernote:android-job (https://github.com/orgzly/orgzly-android/blob/v1.8.6/app/build.gradle#L170) which depends on com.google.android.gms:play-services-gcm (https://github.com/evernote/android-job/blob/v1.4.2/library/build.gradle#L8).

This was removed recently Stop using com.evernote:android-job · orgzly/orgzly-android@bd826d3 · GitHub

/LE: disabled: Orgzly - disable tainted (bf7153f3) · Commits · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

1 Like

You are screwing the basic principles of FOSS that you are trying to protect by removing the old versions.

Imagine someone has an older Android where you could downgrade apps (as long as signature matched) and needs to downgrade to export his data.

In a true FOSS world anyone could simply rebuild from the old tainted sources and get at his data but because of how the signatures work it is not an option without root.

Now, for this special App I believe the most important data is on sdcard where it is easily accessible at least by adb but the fundamental problem should not go unnoticed.

Downgrade to what exactly? Also downgrading was never an Android feature that was usable.

Did you bother looking at what the app actually does? It works with files, data is always accessible.

So the app is not FOSS but F-Droid is bad, right? If the app has no backup/restore is still F-Droid’s fault too?

I am saying there is a general problem that needs to be addressed and already wrote that this App luckily isn’t affected.

The problem is that if an upgraded App fails (for example crash on launch) F-Droid users in some cases have no option to recover their data… they are at the mercy of (a) the App author to fix that problem and tag a new version and (b) F-Droid to pick it up.

Could F-Droid solve the problem easily? Sure.

“Sure” what? How exactly? Code the app? Fix the bugs? No, there’s no downgrade…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.