Non-Free Network Services

I note there has been discussion on this topic, but not recently. If I write an app that gets it’s data from an internet resource that isn’t completely FOSS, that app gets tagged. If I set up a internet resource using FOSS tools, and make sure the code is FOSS and published, then write an app that gets it’s data from that resource, that’s fine, as far as I can see. Where that resource gets it’s data from appears to be a different issue.

I would then have to add facilities for donations to fund that internet resource. Is that what is intended?

NonFreeNet is all encompasing now, it needs a split: The term "nonfree network service" is not coherent (#553) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

I would then have to add facilities for donations to fund that internet resource. Is that what is intended?

No sure what the relation is, that seems out of spec for F-Droid itself.

Just making the generic point that running an internet site isn’t free, it needs to be funded.

We agree, we have Donate/Bitcoin/Liberapay fields for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

here: Build Metadata Reference | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Another point which I missed above is that the text which appears on the web site and the app is misleading. It says ‘This app promotes non-free network services’ or something similar. None of the apps that I have developed or use promote anything apart from the functionality they provide. They utilise network services which may or may not be free.

By having your app use one, particular, non-free network or service, you are encouraging or directing users to use that network or service. Promotion is a near synonym for encouraging users to use something.

PS. It is sad that a site search using duck duck go or another will list all apps by one developer ID, but using F-Droid site’s search will not. :confused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.