News: access removal of "Less Secure Apps" in Google

Less secure apps & your Google Account

To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

For more information, please continue reading.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

1 Like

From my point fairmail, k-mail and some other apps working gmail in f-droid version will affecting, right?

1 Like

Yes, a sh-itty move… wonder how this is GDPR compliant exactly if they force the users to tell Google their phone numbers?!

1 Like
1 Like

If you use the Play store or GitHub version of FairEmail, you can use the quick setup wizard to easily setup a Gmail account and identity. The Gmail quick setup wizard is not available for third party builds, like the F-Droid build because Google approved the use of OAuth for official builds only.

Only way is oath?

yes, and to enable oath you need to give Google your phone number

In other Google + phone numbers news: Messages, Dialer apps sent text, call info to Google • The Register

Then fairmair and k-mail, and gmail (apps) ect., are stop working in f-droid builds.
Thats sad

No.

There is a difference between “less secure apps” and “per-app passwords”.

• Less secure apps: Use your Google password directly in apps. Will be removed.
  • Per-app passwords: Generate a unique password for each app. Keeps working.

You can use per-app passwords in k-9 and fairemail.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Use an App Password

An App password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a non-Google app or device permission to access your Google Account.

You can use per-app passwords in k-9 and fairemail.

If you submit your phone number…

2 Likes

Good point. I have a spare suckle account. Will try today to check if it still works or needs phone number. If needs then it can go f.off, lol.

1 Like

Been there, done that, with orbot VPN. Decided it was worth getting off the Google wagon, dumping “free as in beer but NOT as in freedom or privacy” email, and paying for email service that really (seems to) respect privacy.

RIP G66gle.

3 Likes

Ohh yeah. BTW, phone number is not needed. Just add as app notification first, then get those backup codes and add any otp app (like freeotp) etc. Then remove the account from phone and you are done. No number needed. I even removed my mobile number from an old account which I had forgotten about.

Your definition of “not needed” is rather odd… so you didn’t enter the phone number (not-needed) or you entered it (not-not-needed)?

I did not enter it at all. I went to security. 2FA > Tap on your device is the first option > security codes is the 2nd option > authenticator is the 3rd way.
Once 2nd and 3rd are up, I remove account from device.

I did it just 4 hours ago.

How to use this method in fairmail or k-mail in f-droid version.

Create a password like this and then use it just like you used the account password before in K-9.

Without mobile number working, but without device authentication cannot work right?

and

App password for seperate for contacts or gmail ect, right?