[newbie question!] Switching to F-droid

Hello, and thank you in advance for your support! I’m new to the community so please bare with me. I am taking steps to reinforce my online privacy and switching to open source apps one day at a time. My question is:

Say I downloaded Telegram from the Google play store, then after some time I discovered F-droid. Can I just start downloading updates of Telegram from FD or do I have to uninstall Telegram, then download it from FD? because I really don’t want to go through all the settings again. I want to know if there’s any slight impact on privacy/security for both options.

My last question is about the unofficial client for FDroid called Foxy Droid, can I use it instead? It looks pleasant and smooth. What do you guys think?

Nope, it’s built and signed by someone else.

Yes, it’s a “security feature”

N o, you must like the official one, and praise its UI/UX

Jokes aside, yes, use whatever you want, Foxy Droid, G-Droid, Aurora Droid etc

1 Like

Backup the app data, then uninstall, install the app from F-Droid and restore the app data.
You can use OAndBackupX for that. In Izzy’s repo there is already the new v2 version.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.