Need apps for these use cases

As far as I’m aware no. Maybe with a rooted device but rooted devices invite many security and privacy risks and could even destroy your device. So that would be up to you to weigh the pros and cons

It is important to note however that some apps can spoof your device info when interacting with certain services like aurora store for example. However this has limited privacy benefits for aurora store as the applist of your device will still get sent which will likely be enough to fingerprint what device you are using.

So it more so depends on the app and service you use whether it will make a sufficient difference even if possible.

There’s not a big advantage between either of them (at least not that I could see when testing nor reading) so I guess just go with whichever one you like more

I use shelter personally cause I like the auto freeze feature

It can work or it cannot work. Really depends on a lot of variables so hard to say (as in it could work for some apps and not others)

It’s important to note however microG is a reimplementation of google play services that is meant to be more private.

However the thing is it’s still talking to google servers like google play services does (there is no magical way to just make gsf dependent apps work) just in a more private manner (it spoofs some details and doesn’t give google as much info in general)

So even though it is more private it is still very well possible for google to identify you through this. Any form or reimplementation of Google play services will likely degrade the security and privacy of your device

1 Like

Thanks. Insular doesn’t even install till the time island is installed, maybe because its using the “island” name idk. Shelter on the other hand installs while island is installed. If a work profile with island is still in a phone and then shelter is installed, will it still allow us to create a work profile? Maybe a work profile 2 or something?

Coming to island, it has an option to delete the work profile. Selecting that will uninstall all apps in the work profile or do we need to manually do it before deleting the work profile? Don’t want any app to cover the storage after that profile is removed.

In island if you open the last section of island and single click on an app it asks you to remove app etc. then there is a lock option on top. When that is pressed the specific app is immediately removed/hides from invisible though it never says that it is uninstalled. Does that mean that it has been uninstalled?

What does No Internet access mean here Frequently Asked Questions - Insular

What does the auto freeze feature in shelter do exactly?

Let’s say you have an android phone from samsung, redmi, oneplus, xiaomi then you can logout of the google account and the phone will still work, except playstore which will ask you to login via a google account. But if the samsung/redmi/oneplus/xiaomi account is removed from settings then will the phone work or will it keep on bugging to login first and then use the phone?

Should be all deleted and uninstalled when you delete the work profile. Doesn’t matter whether it’s island, insular or shelter results here should be the same

No internet access means that the app itself does not have access to the internet and thus cannot connect to the internet by itself. This helps ensure the trust between the app and user as the app is not capable of doing anything a user may not like such as sending their data away to a server or performing any unwanted connections. Do remember that it is possible for a app without internet access to send data to the internet through the means of another app.

Like say for example a fully offline app auto generates a log file for you so you can report the issue to the developer. You could then use something like a web browser to send that data to the internet. But some apps say apps with google analytics trackers may communicate with each other without your consent. And thus if one of those apps can send data to the internet then… Well you can probably see the picture there

It automatically disables apps in the work profile you wish to be disabled after a certain amount of inactivity on the device (basically the device being locked for a certain amount of time)

Disabling a app hides it from the launcher and prevents it from operating which is why some apps refer to it as freezing as that’s pretty much what disabling a app does

That would depend on the phone and company. I can’t speak for redmi, one plus or xiaomi but samsung should allow you to skip the sign in/up process just like google does

1 Like

Thank you.

About removing samsung,redmi,oneplus,xiaomi account, in samsung phones if a new or never used in that phone before, sim is inserted in the phone then it sends a sms to samsung to authenticate and displays on screen welcome to samsung. Does all other companies send a sms like this? If the samsung,redmi,op,xiaomi account is removed then will it send a sms like this?

Man please help me out with this, I am not able to find the recommend setting for this. In newpipe when I press the home button the video goes to PiP mode but in Libretube when I press the home button PiP mode doesn’t get activated rather only sound can be heard. If I want the PiP mode then I have to manually click on PiP mode button which is there below the video. Can this be set to automatic?

Works fine for me. Try going to settings > Player > then find the option that says “Behavior when minimized” and choose the “Picture-in-Picture” option.

Do make sure the picture in picture permission is granted as well as it is a different permission from display over other apps and libretube prefers picture in picture over display over other apps unlike newpipe currently.

Though I’m pretty sure it should be granted automatically on app install. At least my device it did

1 Like

Replied to you about the libretube issue here

Can you recommend some foss apps for sms manager and like truecaller? Trackercontrol blocks tracker from various apps. In layman language what exactly are those and how does companies make money from them?

SMS Manager best is QKSMS or its recent fork QUIK, both available in F-Droid.
There is no alternative to Truecaller tbvh. As for making money and tracking users, etc., the best example is: brrowser cookies, browsing online / shopping online and earning revenue by either cross selling or selling client interests by tracking them, fits best. Can explain further after few hours.

1 Like

Maybe Carrion | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository can help specially if in US

Actually none. Truecaller if I get @bond007 is asking for India, and in India it is only Truecaller.

2 Likes

ah, then yeah

maybe SpamBlocker (Call & SMS) | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository could have an use (includes the international Carrior part STIR/SHAKEN thing) in the general sense

1 Like

I did try it out for a week. It only works if the carrier provides for it. Turns out in India, most of the carriers depend on Foogle for the data and or Truecaller. It works, but maybe 0.5-1% of the actual database.

1 Like

Thanks. Did you mean this one?

Any exif remover which app which has batch remover option to select multiple files at once? And is there one for videos, pdfs too?

• thats bit over statement literally…
  • if i remember correctly, addons devs
    by default choose all os, grossly
    inappropriate
  • i complained on mozilla bug tracker,
    they replied dev must choose os
  • i hope situation has improved
  • as on june 3, 2024 15:30 gmt,
    only 1144
1 Like

Yup. That is the one.
For exif - images (multi), try: ExifEraser - IzzyOnDroid F-Droid Repository
For videos, try this old app from 2022: CameraRollX - IzzyOnDroid F-Droid Repository

Try this too: https://droidify.eu.org/app/?id=ru.tech.imageresizershrinker&repo_address=https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fdroid/archive

Fossify gallery too has exif remover BTW: https://droidify.eu.org/app/?id=org.fossify.gallery&repo_address=https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fdroid/archive (I do use it).

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks. drodify links are saying page not found. Any alternative links for these?
Any exif remover from videos and pdfs for android?

Is there any foss map/gps app which has satellite view of a city. Tried organic maps OsmAnd~ | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository and osm maps OsmAnd~ | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository but they didn’t have the satellite view.

Met my friends’s friend today. He has rooted his phone and was using some spoof app. For example first telegram showed that its logged in a redmi phone then he spoofed it and then it started showing that telegram is being used in a xiaomi phone. Is this possible only after rooting a phone or do we need some custom rom for this?

Do check for the libretube issues as mentioned in the other thread whenever you get time.

1 Like

Try the links again from my previous post now. They should redirect to IZZY now.

The video one (CameraRollX) I gave the link to, should work. PDF ones, I doubt anything or any app on android does that.

Nope, none afaik.

Rooted + custom ROM/OS ideally, but mostly rooted and any spoofing app. But yes, root is mandatory for it.

Sure, will do. There is a power outage since last 5+ hours now. So, will do once I am free tomorrow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can install desktop extensions since long time ago by adding them to your collection.

Why link to some other repo when F-Droid builds these?

And

And

Etc

He needed batch processing ones. None of them have that option.
Plus other than scrambled exif, the other 2 also reduce file size and at times that distorts the image as well.

You technically can just not in the normal way. If you want to download any extension you need to download it’s file directly on your device and activate developer options in mull

Then under advanced you can choose to install extension from your files.

Not recommended for obvious reasons but if you do know of a extension that does in fact work on android that isn’t in the android section of https://addons.mozilla.org it can be useful

Likely so. But I do think it’s better for them not to be so restricted in the first place as from my experience more of them work than not. For me personally it’s annoying to have to use a desktop user agent just to install a extension that supposedly isn’t supported by android yet clearly works