"Nearby" or Faraway?

I tried asking this question once before, I believe, but didn’t get a qualifying answer.
What exactly does the “Nearby” tab at the bottom of the F Droid app actually do, if it is not to share the F Droid app itself AND downloaded apps from said phone to another phone???

Because every time I’ve tried (for at least 2 years) to send my apps to my new phone or a friends phone i get an error message (see below):

2 Likes

Doesn’t it need nearby services to be turned ON and Paired, or something?

1 Like

I always have “paired” via bluetooth before and during the "process; even tried the Qrcode and still no dice.

I would try entering the same WiFi network with both phones. Mobile data carriers don’t let phones connect directly to each other.

True that. It does not work for me either.

1 Like

That’s exactly what it’s for, yes.

Looking at F-Droid’s issue tracker, a “socket closed” bug in F-Droid Nearby has been reported and fixed 7 years ago. There was also a report 1 year ago, but the reporter didn’t give any futher info and closed the report themselves.

Could you please make a bug report on https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroidclient/-/issues/new with as much info as possible so this issue can be tracked and looked at?

1 Like

" That’s exactly what it’s for, yes. "
Okay, good, at least now I know I’m not crazy.

" Could you please make a bug report…"
OOOOOkkkkaaay, I’ll give it a shot; but I’ve been known for turning an IKEA furniture assembly into a potential WOMD!
" Instructions not clear, foot stuck in ceiling fan. "

1 Like

@vdbhb59 do add your details too: Nearby - index error (#2494) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

1 Like

I don’t have a gitlab account, but I can share the details here in sometime. Someone or maybe you can add it there?

1 Like

Pls do here then, as asked there (devices, steps, etc)

1 Like

Very odd. :thinking:
Works on Vivo Y35 A13 (Funtouch OS 13), but does not work on A9/10/12/13 on OnePlus5 (Rooted and Non-Rooted). Works on LG Wing 5G A11, but does not work on Android 10 LG Wing 5G (both Wing are non-rooted).
Details below:

Not working: →

• Device OS and version:AOSP/LOS (A09/A10/A12/A13) / Android 10
  • Device model/manufacturer: One Plus 5 / LG Wing 5G
  • F-Droid version (in the About screen): 1.15.4, 1.16.0A (stable) & Debug 1.16.A0-2-GDA2913708 & 1.16.A0.4-GA0EEE4FF9
  • F-Droid privileged extension version (if installed): Not installed / not used
    Error image, same as:

https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroidclient/uploads/2d0084ddbde5afd9658a3029172137c8/image.png

Working →

• Device OS and version:Android 13 (Funtouch OS 13) / Android 11
  • Device model/manufacturer: Vivo Y25 (V2205) / LG Wing 5G
  • F-Droid version (in the About screen): 1.15.4, 1.16.0A (stable) & Debug 1.16.A0-2-GDA2913708 & 1.16.A0.4-GA0EEE4FF9
  • F-Droid privileged extension version (if installed): Not installed / not used
    Working as it is expected to and connects and shares/sends the files as needed.

It only works between the 2 devices 2 & fro as mentioned in the “Working” points above. But if trying between the not working & working phones, I get the same error as the image in the git issue.

Edit: Ohh, and one more thing. I am only able to send/transfer files upto or between 50-65MB, and anything above crashes the app on sending device once it crosses 50MB or 65MB. Example: I tried to share Mull/Bromite and even just TG FOSS file. They all crashed my Vivo/Wing. However, when I share anything below that, it works fine.

One more edit: Tried every scenario with WiFi, and WiFi/Mobile hotspot. In case connection type is asked for.
@Licaon_Kter updated in case needed over on Git, and to give more details, since Torsten Grote mentioned over there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.