Mull browser doesn't work as intended on some devices

Hello,
I just wanted to put out a PSA for all the users using the Mull browser private mode on non-pixel devices.

Previously I was using Mull browser on Redmi note 10 pro on multiple custom roms.
I mostly used private browsing (incongnito mode).

The normal behaviour should be:
When you close the private browsing mode, for eg. by removing the app from “recent apps”, that session should end; and the next time you start private browsing, it should not save any cookies, etc.

This behaviour happens with all the browsers I know, and also this browser, but only on pixel device ( I think). I tested on Pixel 6a GrapheneOS.

But on other device, the private mode remembers the previous state. The fastest way I found to reset the session is to go to → App info → Storage → Clear cache.
This seems to clear the previous session.

Doesn’t matter to me now as I now use Pixel 6a, and the browser behaves normally on this device.

@SkewedZeppelin ^^^

Are you able to reproduce this issue on official Firefox for Android?

When you close the private browsing mode, for eg. by removing the app from “recent apps”, that session should end; and the next time you start private browsing, it should not save any cookies, etc.

Can you elaborate, are all the pages kept open or is it just cookies? If the latter how are you testing?
What version of Android are the other devices running?

Elaboration is definitely needed.
If sites and tabs are being restored, I could not reproduce that behavior.

Three non-Pixel devices running Oreo, A10, and A11 custom ROMs. Open one or more private tabs. Hit the Recents button and swipe away. On re-launch there are no open sessions. Always an empty private tab.

Can’t speak to the cookies thing. Curious to know about that.

No, the tabs are closed, but cookies are saved.
Try this:
Go to a site that shows “accept cookie” popup. ( I tried monkeytype.com). Click on accept or reject. Close the private browser. Load the website again, it wont ask for it. Now close the browser, go to → App info → Storage → Clear cache. Now go to that site again, it will ask for cookie consent.

I tried on android 13.

Firefox is working properly.
I can verify cookies are saved, please read the comment I left above.
Both pixel 6a and redmi note 10 pro are on android 13. But problem is only with redmi note 10 pro.
(Both are on custom roms.)

Go to a site that shows “accept cookie” popup. ( I tried monkeytype.com). Click on accept or reject. Close the private browser. Load the website again, it wont ask for it.

I cannot reproduce this.

After swiping the app away and opening Mull again and loading the website it still shows the cookie prompt.

Do you have any other test case with real cookies not “darkpatterned EU cookies” ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.