How do I select Bromite as WebViewer? It's not visible in the developer settings

How do I select Bromite as standard WebViewer?
It’s not visible in the developer settings. I can only see and select the standard (Google) Webviewer or Chrome. But Crome is nearly invicible now and not selectable because I have deactivated it.
But when I install Bromite WebView and/or Lineage WebView and go to the settings they are not selectable as WebViewer!
Does anyone no how to solve this?? Do I need to root my device or get Lineage or is there another way to get it working more easy??

Your ROM must allow such selection IIRC, there’s also a Magisk module for that, but on my devices where I tested it ended up in a bootloop, so I had to delete the module via TWRP, so be careful :frowning:

I don’t even have a rom yet. I’ve been thinking about reading how to get one, but I decided that I wait, until my phone gets Android 10, before I try experimenting with roms. That will probably be some day next year. I wish they have released it for all Androids by the end of january, but I don’t think that will happen.

Easiest on non rooted devices is to use Fennec with embedded gecko(alt webview) when you need a “secure/safe” webview: that is why fennec is so heavy with ~60Mo (and so long to build).

It’s complicated. See https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/Installing-SystemWebView

2 Likes

Latest rc9 kalturaDeviceInfo now includes webView provider(s) and active version detection (via embedded dynamic button). Since Nougat, possible providers have to match framework-res.apk/res/xml/config_webview_packages.xml pre-declarations.

@tip without twrp/root, there is no alt roms which handles original Bromite (also most of roms re-sign a factory prebuilt webView.apk: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_external_chromium-webview/blob/lineage-16.0/Android.mk#L26 ).

If you have an unlock-able bootloader, I will switch my Treble microG Pie GSi to upgradable Bromite webview (~next week) with latest known ad-blocking version : 76.0.3809.129. (Bromite 76 returns a 74 webclient Update user agent to remove build number · Issue #156 · bromite/bromite · GitHub )

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.