[Help] My phone got hacked?!

@Tryder

I agree that it is easier to reset a Linux device, compared to an Android device.

root privledges on mainline Linux

Why does an attacker need root when they can keylog you, send off your passwords, your personal documents, and your SSH/GPG keys?

Non-shameless plug: I recommend you sandbox your programs on Linux using Firejail.
You can also sandbox your system services using systemd. If you are already using Flatpaks, please further confine them using Flatseal.

A lot more people looking to hack your Android or IOS devices than your Linux devices.

This is not reason to neglect security of your Linux devices.

I didn’t say it was a reason to neglect security, just that it was likely the reason root exploits are less common. Nonetheless some pretty serious exploits pop up for mainline linux from time to time. The frequency of severe vulnerabilities is significantly less than that of Android, but again that’s probably just because fewer people are working to exploit them.

Most of the people looking to exploit vulnerabilities are probably using mainline Linux in the first place. :laughing:

No need to even mention Windows here. I have a Windows partition just for playing old PC games. It never goes online… Never.

P.S. Also, as far as keylogging is concerned; you don’t need a keylogger, you just need line of sight.

For completeness I should mention the Librem 5 here. The Librem 5, running Purism’s own Linux distribution, is the ultimate in mobile security. It goes a step beyond the Pine Phone by offering hardware switches that physically disconnect the camera, microphone, modem, bluetooth and wifi chips.

No level of exploit can bypass these switches. Although, like the Pine Phone, I hear battery life kinda sucks. You could also buy 3 or 4 Pine Phones for the price of a Librem 5.

The Librem 5, running Purism’s own Linux distribution, is the ultimate in mobile security.

Strong disagree.

No level of exploit can bypass these switches.

Missing the forest for the trees.

Another benefit to the Pine Phone is the processor. Depending on your needs the processor is either a pro or a con. It’s old, it’s power hungry compared to newer mobile processors and it’s slow. If you’re looking for performance this is not the place to look.

However; if you’re looking for security the processor is one of the Pine Phone’s biggest assets. The old age of the processor means that most of the vulnerabilities in the design have already been found and patched.

@Tryder

most of the vulnerabilities in the design have already been found and patched.

That is not how that works.

We are far off-topic here, please start another thread if you want to continue this malign discussion.

I just turned to my girlfriend and said “you know, we should probably get one of those Pine Phones.” She agrees. Gonna spring for the convergeance package :wink:

lmao, hacked huh? For someone trying to be as safe and secure as you say in the post. I find it very hard to believe. 1st red flag: Browsing Facebook. For someone security minded, you failed that one. 2nd red flag: You mention instagram. Again, (not trying to pick on you but…). I would like to assume that someone as technically inclined such as yourself. would immediately pull system logs or a logcat, or something with factual technical data. But I see no mention of such. Or any mention of auditing the proprietary applications. Another red flag, You seem to be going out of your way to not use google services, yet. You use google play protect? ( odd… ) Want to know what I think?.. One of the processes an app was supposed to do, for some reason was held back and any gestures being made was also loaded into the phones ram, once whatever was causing the stall, once killed or released, everything getting backed up, ran seemingly all at once. Causing things to appear to be pressed/moved/whatever by some “hacker”. Some questions to ask oneself b4 claiming “hacked” What is your position in your community, leader, mentor, local gov? What position do you hold at work, is it a position of power? Do you or a family member work in Gov or Military? If these answers are No, well, you are like the rest of us, nobodies. From the hackers perspective, if you are not going to be a monetary gain of whatever assets, be it info or $$, then you are no target, and to the hacker, a waist of time. Furthermore I would begin to familiarize myself with androids adb and a terminal. Learn some stuff, keep crash logs, backtraces, logcat files, etc etc… Other than that. I think you have a …active imagination of things you don’t understand. I’m betting you were not hacked. But more or less ran into bug and scared yourself. Peace.

2 Likes

The great thing is you can get slide out, slide in replacement battery for $10 (sold out, ~$20 at Amazon) and battery charger for ~$5.

Battery life is another subjective thing, depending on lots of variables… Edit: IMO, it’s not bad.

1 Like

I live off-grid, I’m more concerned about power consumption than I am about security. When my phone was hacked last year it didn’t bother me so much that someone might’ve been recording my microphone or GPS coordinates, if someone wants to spend their time listening to me tell bad jokes, you know, that’s their problem.

What bothered me was the huge drain on my battery. Well that and the developer options being disabled which made debugging Carpe Diem a big pain. More electricity going to my phone meant less electeicity available for my computer and more stress on my solar panels and battery banks.

Unless your computer is a raspberry pi or similar, it’s surprising a phone could use anywhere near as much power. Aside from high winds, can solar panels really be stressed by powering something? Maybe you should add on a wind turbine. :laughing:

They’re portable folding arrays made from polycrystalline panels sheathed in polyester fabric. On one of our panels the sun has already degraded the polyester to the point where the front layer of fabric has ripped all the way through. The wires connecting the panels have also all broken due to the constant folding and unfolding of the arrays, I’ve spliced them back together with bits of old USB cable.

As for the battery banks, their lifespan is measured in cycles which is to say how many times they’ve been discharged and recharged. Most manufacturers rate their lithium battery lifespans around 500 cycles, but one can increase that number by not fully charging the battery.

Lithium plating is the issue that causes lithium batteries to lose their capacity over time and the rate at which plating occurs increases on a curve as charge increases. We tend not to charge our batteries above 75% and that greatly improves their overall lifespan.

My computer, by the way, is a Microsoft Surface 3. Idle power consumption is around 3 watts and tops out just under 13. Our solar arrays are rated for 20 watt output, though we just purchased a new 30 watt monocrystalline array paired with a 22500mah power bank with 30 watt power delivery output and an 80 watt modified sinewave AC inverter.

Our 20 watt polycrystalline arrays put out more watts per pound, but the 30 watt supports direct 18v DC out as well as 30 watt USB-C PD.

P.S. leaving your phone on the charger all night destroys the battery’s capacity and accelerates end of life.

It’s cool you can get by on so little (directly used) electricity, and camping is fun for a while. I’d guess you know you’re pushing some costs of your lifestyle onto others without their consent… So it has been for millennia. Technology changes fast; people more slowly.

Consider taking a long hard look at the costs of your lifestyle. Then maybe we could compare to two no?

P.S. Also I don’t know what you’re talking about here. I don’t receive government assistance if that’s what you mean.

Consider taking a long hard look at the costs of your lifestyle.

You assume I haven’t.

Then maybe we could compare to two no?

You assume I care to. I don’t. And it surprises me that you would.

P.S. Also I don’t know what you’re talking about here. I don’t receive government assistance if that’s what you mean.

No. As one example, your blog statements implying you trespass or stay places where other people do, or likely will, get law enforcement involved. There is more, but I don’t wish to insult more or keep going more off-topic. I’m almost a little sorry I made the comment.

I stay in forrest land where people rarely ever go. I go weeks, months even, without seeing another person. Aside from my girlfriend of course. Alas, even that is illegal.

You’re right, I do care. I care about you.

P.S. That ‘blog’ of mine sure does get me into some pretty big trouble sometimes.

1 Like

I would be interested in reading your blog if you wouldn’t mind sharing a link.

If you use a script blocker you need to enable the inventati.org scripts. My site makes use of the open source Motomo analytics, but it will remain disabled if you do not enable the Autistici.org script which probably won’t show up in your script blocker until you enable the Inventati scripts.

Aside from Motomo the scripts on my site are all written by myself, you can find links to the scripts and an explanation as to what they do under the Bulletin section of the home page of my site.

My host, https://www.autistici.org, doesn’t support server side languages so all the dynamics of my site are provided by javascript.

If you use a script blocker you need to enable …

For the record, in Tor Browser it displays well enough with no scripts enabled, by noscript.

My host, …, doesn’t support server side languages

You need a better host.

One of the reasons I stick with mainstream browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) is because I think they are the most advanced (compared to other browsers) in terms of security. I also make sure to configure the permissions properly. I know they track, but that is okay for what I do.

While I have heard/ read similar stories, I would like to test them myself. Can you share the site where you experienced this problem?