Happy 10 Years of F-Droid!

10 years ago today, Ciaran Gultnieks posted the first blog post on f-droid.org, kicking off 10 years of bringing free software to Android. From early on, F-Droid also had a strong commitment to privacy and marked Anti-Features to help users choose software that most respects the users. Thanks to the many dozens of contributors over the years, F-Droid now brings free software to millions of users, and is built into many Android ROMs and devices.

22 Likes

It would have been nicer for FSF to also mention this F-Droid 10 years, but at least FSF did mention f-droid in the recent blog on FSF 35 years.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/fsf-at-35-join-us-in-celebrating-the-incredible-community

2 Likes

Congratulations and Happy Birthday! :smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations!

I know I’m late to the party. Sorry. But I couldn’t help but reply when I saw this. Discovering F-Droid made android bearable for me. On all my devices I’ve replaced the default ROM with a custom rom, to get rid of the proprietary google stuff, and I always install F-Droid (doing so through the privilege extension zip gives and extra nice experience).

I do miss the old UI. But other than that, F-Droid has proven itself to be a solid project that can be relied on (and don’t get me wrong; the new UI isn’t bad either, just different)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.