Google Play Store tries to update my F-Droid apps :-(

no because my point is intent in the policy at Google and that would then be off topic of my response that what is marked as a solution is a workaround or an advertisement to lure users away from F-Droid.

I’ve un-marked the solution, as there is none (here).

1 Like

When you see this, please press the “Submit feedback” button from the error message (DO NOT SUBMIT A REVIEW OF THE APP ELSEWHERE) and tell them: “Google Play erroneusly tries to update an app signed by a different key” or “Play erroneously tries to update apps signed with a different signature from a different store” or something like this.

No because it is working as Google intends it to, perhaps instead provide instructions to report Google to the EU or Anti trust authorities in the US.

On Android 14 and later, there’s even a “Installed by” property per app, and, if you used Signal’s internal updater, that should say “Signal” and not “Play”.

Actually it is unclear what the intent Signal has remaining on the Google Play store, not having Signal available via F-droid, and very little information regarding this mysterious updating infrastructure you mentioned.

Big BTW Thank you soo much for your Contributions to open source Licaon_Kter

The current EU DMA process that investigates Google, Apple, etc, targets this too. No, it’s NOT working as Google says it should (if it’s working as they want is a different thing)

“Easy” to install, that’s why Quicksy exists and it’s free on Play too. So n00bs don’t need to “toggle unknown sources” or download random APKs…

old thing, that’s how they want it, also, in the current state with Google proprietary dependencies, it can’t just be added

Signal updates from their site. What do you mean?

thanks for zealoting! :smiley:

No Aurora Store will not work with all apps, trust me let me show you my work.

Absolutely not “wrong” (whatever that would even mean). Even if Google does not want to solve the issue, they are still the ones who would need to do so. You can complain all day long here on the forums that nobody provides a solution, but all that can be done is to provide workarounds.

1 Like

I’ve had no issues with any apps I run so I’m happy as, it seems, are most users.

Using Aurora Store and silencing Play Store doesn’t stop one firing up the latter occasionally and checking for missed updates. All I’ve found so far are apps installed from F-Droid which won’t install anyway.

If this behavior is actually Google policy then they’ve shot themselves in the foot.

2 Likes

good news: Request update ownership for newly installed apps (!1370) · Merge requests · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

of note, latest F-Droid Client 1.20-alpha1 has improved the triggers that help keep Play at bay and behaving.

Maybe you, and you and you :slight_smile: can update and test ?

4 Likes

Update installed. Looking for a negative result means it may be weeks before I can be sure it is working.

1 Like

Unfortunately the updated F-Droid has not helped. Google Play today wants to update Tutanota which I installed from F-Droid.

1 Like

That should not have happened. Very odd behaviour. Although Tutanota or other apps maybe available from PS probably too.

Did you read latest TWIF? Maintaining ownership | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

In short, Google’s defense is “only our Android, we don’t know what other OEMs do”

So, to be able to test this you need:

• latest stock Android 14
  • a Google device
  • F-Droid Client 1.20-alpha1

When you have those (maybe have 14 on a non-Pixel, maybe that’s enough?) you INSTALL or UPDATE an app WITH 1.20-alpha1

And THEN only FOR THAT APP you test if Play wants to update it.

You can easily do that, expand Versions in Client, scroll to an older version for an app that’s in Play too and that you did not instals yet, eg. Quicksy 2.14.2

After that, wait… restart device… check updates screen in Play…whatever

I had not taken to heart that it only applies to Android 14 and over. I have only A11 on my phone.

I assume this means that that F-Droid Client 1.20-alpha1will only fix the PS problem on Android 14 so there’s no point in those of us using 13 or less trying it. Can someone clarify please? Many thanks.

1 Like

Two ideas, Play updates will be received on Android 11 and older too.

But, under the EU legislation threats, since Android 12, Google started to add these bits.

We’ve explain this in: Unattended updates for everyone, 1.19 is here | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

And expanded in: One new, one broken, one beta, more updates | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

(Y’all not RSS subscribed to News? :slightly_frowning_face:)

Google uses this “latest version” defense when it suits them, so 14 should be puurfect.

I’d say that Android 12 or later might be enough.

Try to look at Android Settings, Apps, some app, scroll down, does it have a “installed by XXX” property? If not, yes, you are out of luck and Play might still be …buggy.

This is great and all, but doesn’t help anyone with “older” Android versions. LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) on my phone does actually show the “installed by” information. Doesn’t help much though.

So, Google is doing what it always did: Make old devices obsolete.

It doesn’t matter whether these devices are still supported by the manufacturer or the community with the very latest security patches. Google wants us to buy new hardware. It doesn’t matter if some users disagree with the latest changes regarding SD card access or other things. Google wants us to buy new hardware.

Sorry for the gloom and doom, I am just so very tired of Android and tech overlords like Google …

1 Like

The mystery deepens. Not only is Google wanting to update Tutanota, but when I look into the app’s properties it tells me it was installed from the Aurora store even though I am certain I got it from F-Droid. (I installed Tutanota before I installed Aurora.) I noticed several weeks ago that Aurora was also trying to update F-Droid apps despite being set not to, so it is possible I inadvertently updated Tuta from Aurora, and Aurora has now assumed reponsibility for the application. Nevertheless I find the lack of isolation between the repositories very confusing. Is there anything I, as an ignorant user, can do to rectify the situation?

You might find what you need in the Menu under

Settings/Filters

Maybe I should have said that’s the Aurora menu.

I have always had Aurora set to filter F-Droid apps, but not filter Google apps.