Google also now managing app sigining keys, like F-Droid

I agree that Google Play Services has backdoor like powers, I still think
installing targeted malicious apps has its advantages. It is easier to target,
all Google devices have Play Services, not all have a specific app. Also, it
would be a lot easier to install a small malicious update, then insert an
implant then uninstall the update. Google having the signing keys gives anyone
who has username/password to the account the possibility to push out updates.

This could in theory be useful to disable malware, for example, malware gets
into Play. Without the signing key, Google cannot push out an update to that
malware. With the signing key, they could push out an update to that APK that
disables it. I’ll bet that’s part of the thinking behind them requiring this
feature, but they don’t want to publicly announce that since they would get a
ton of flak from security and privacy people. They do already have the power to
do remote uninstalls, so this would be only useful if they actually want to tap
into the running software, like in botnet scenarios.

2 Likes

Because the normal DAU usually inputs different data in different apps. It is more simple to have a function in the same class or namespace that steals the data, then complicatedly sniffing the app traffic of the apps via play services.

Sorry, just thought this line was pretty funny.

As secure as the infrastructure used by the world’s largest manufacturer of SIM cards in which the encryption keys were stolen by American and British spies? Or maybe as secure as the US Treasury department’s servers which were hacked and had encryption keys stolen off of them.

I always find it funny when a company boasts about their “secure” infrastructure.

So… If you had ten million apps with ten million signing keys all stored on different computers you’d have to hack roughly ten million computers if you wanted to compromise a significant selection of apps. Let’s just take those ten million keys and put them all in one basket. Who is Google conveniencing here anyway?

Google does have a good track record of defending against unwanted intrusion.
China was able to hack in pretty deep years ago. But well resources state
actors always get in if they are committed to it. The open question with Google
is the kinds of things they do willingly and in secret, like PRISM.

1 Like

Dragnet surveillance implemented through Google would drag so many people that it would take years to sift through it all and then cancel out false positives, some people will have probably emigrated or died by the time they get looked at. Plenty of terrorists running around undetected.

I think more likely such dragnet surveillance would be used to start building profiles on anyone that shows, let’s call it, undesireable behaviour. Then, should the need arise, the data on the subject is already there and ready for use.

So if the subject eventually proves effective at inspiring protests or something they already have a psychological profile worked up, they probably already have dummy accounts in their social media friends list ready to be activated, names, addresses, phone numbers of family members and known associates, etcetera…

If would be difficult to say whats deemed “undesirable” and disprove the risk of false positive by direct investigation. It’s like how OONI Probe is purposely designed to trigger blocks in order to see which blocks exist, it doesn’t mean you directly went and did something worthy of triggering a block, it’s just a test. That would only be discovered if they looked deeper, directly and likely with need for a warrant which requires evidence to be granted in the first place.
And as I said at the end of my last post, countless terror attacks from domestic and international actors continue to happen and most of them are using Telegram, they could and should get sucked up, profiled, identified and arrested yet they hardly ever are.

Yes, but none of those attacks are effective in accomplishing their goals. If an international terrorist’s goal is to dismantle western imperialism and the domestic terrorist’s goal is to bring down the police state then none of their actions actually accomplish those goals or even nudge their ideologies even the slightest bit closer to becoming reality.

Quite the opposite really, domestic and international terrorist actions have only served to give reason to strengthen the very devices the terrorists wish to destroy. Therefore they’re not really national security threats, they’re more like assets even if they wish to believe otherwise.

I see your point but I think that’s a very large scale strategic view, many terrorists attack for the sake of showing they’re still capable of doing so despite these strengthened devices you mentioned. Look at the IRA in the 1980s, they used to place explosives in a public area and then phone the police to report themselves and initiate evacuation. It was done to show they could still operate despite everything Scotland Yard and MI5 had. There are many documentaries about it on YouTube.

Yes, but how much closer are they to pushing out the Brits now than they were thirty years ago? Not at all.

Sure they pose a threat to the citizenry with their bombs, but they pose no threat to the state. The only thing they’ve been able to accomplish is strengthening British rule by giving reason for the widespread deployment of surveillance technologies and equipment.

The Brits probably have less surveillance than the USA due to all the alphabet agencies yet look at the narwhal from yesterday who was targeting the Capitol, a government building, nobody saw him coming (other than ivory poachers)

“The UK is about to become one of the world’s foremost surveillance states, allowing its police and intelligence agencies to spy on its own people to a degree that is unprecedented for a democracy. The UN’s privacy chief has called the situation ‘worse than scary.’ Edward Snowden says it’s simply ‘the most extreme surveillance in the history of western democracy…’”

That was 2016. Of course there’s also the close surveilance relationship between the US and the UK. As I understand it the relationship is so close that GCHQ has been performing NSA tasks and vice versa.

P.S. I don’t know to which narwhal you refer. I don’t read or watch the news.

I’m certainly very glad not to live there, if I did it would be premium cash VPN for everything +Tor for anything important. Although I have noticed some UK based exit nodes with CIA directly in the name. Operating safely in the UK could be a self set challenge, if they have one the highest surveillance levels in the world and you go about undetected then you could definitely go undetected anywhere else as their surveillance will be to a lesser extent.

I believe 5 eyes is still a think but one country was going to or actually did leave (Canada I think) so they will continue to work for each other. Germany seems to be a country rather heavily involved with privacy but they too are in 5 eyes.

The NSA has physical stations in the UK and some old ones have been abandoned so it’s fair to assume GCHPOO and Johnny English both have buildings in America.

All this monitoring to miss or willingly ignore deadly threats in order to arrest people who post political leaflets, winning.

Aforementioned narwhal

I try not to read it either but it still intrudes somehow, even the front page of YouTube has a news section dedicated to suffering.

Last I checked Germany was a member of the 9 eyes surveillance alliance so, you know, cooperative, but not to the same level as the 5 eyes. The UK and the US should really be called the two eyes, or the one eye really.

So you have the twins, US/UK, the 5 eyes, the 9 eyes and the 14 eyes all with differing levels of cooperation. I believe it was, what, six or seven years ago when the US was caught spying on the German govenment. The German’s didn’t seem too surprised or even really that concerned. Probably because they’re doing the same thing.

Despite a few proxy wars, the Cold War wasn’t fought with F-14s and Mig-22s. The Cold War was fought with propaganda and psychological manipulation. Now the Soviet Union’s KGB, et al, were good, they were damn good. But they didn’t win that war.

P.S. I found out about Afghanistan through New Pipe when getting ready to look up some music.

1 Like

Can we get back on track though? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aren’t you glad you reopened this topic so Tryder could host his blog here? :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, sorry for getting a bit off track with it

1 Like

Maybe block him too you discount shill

1 Like