Good & Free Caller ID App?

Can anyone recommend a good caller ID app that is free and also has call blocking? I have been using an older version of Hiya, v7.2.3, because the newer versions has less features & requires a subscription, but now Hiya demands it be updated to function. I’d appreciate it if someone could recommend an alternate.

Thanks!

The database comes from where?

Huh? What?

What do you understand by “caller ID”? Who IDentifies the caller? How? Why do they offer this service for free?

2 Likes

@Licaon_Kter it’s pretty clear you do not have the knowledge to understand the question.
I suggest you use Google to find out the basics of what Caller ID is, how it works, and what it is used for.

Actually anything free is not available and not viable as well anymore. Open source can never be an option in my personal opinion. Hiya uses proprietary stuffs just like every other company in this regards.

Silence | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository and CallerID | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository these are the nearest one I can see, where the 1st one does not have its own database like Hiya, Truecaller etc, and the second one was last updated in 2013, 10 years ago.

Although I understand where you are coming from, but his question was more in terms of this community forum where it is about open source stuff. Agreed that it can be difficult to find something on similar lines, but I must humbly request to maintain a decor of words. His question was absolutely alright, and your point is well taken as well, but as I say we all have words and choice wise we should be more soft everywhere.

Please understand, everyone helping here is doing it out of their choice and your coming here also shows that you have had some expectations of this forum.

4 Likes

No, Licaon_Kter made it clear the poster honestly does not understand what Caller ID is or how it works. I’m giving Licaon_Kter the benefit of the doubt that the poster isn’t trolling, and that their post is honest.
You are assuming some hidden meaning the posts which I do not see. Licaon_Kter just doesn’t understand what Caller ID is.

@Corwin I recall yet one more call blocker/call identifier: Yet Another Call Blocker | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository. It has not been updated since 2021, but it works even today. Not sure, if it will help you?

Nah, he does not troll, as he is an admin here and runs things efficiently tbvh. However, given your point, it may happen that his understanding and your question/point differ between them. I would request, let us drop that point here, and try and help you get something to work.
Meanwhile, may I suggest: try searching github, gitlab, savannah and coderberg for such applications, if available. I do the same when I cannot find something relative on F-Droid. I mistrust googleplaystore and anything google related stuffs as such.

Thanks @vdbhb59 I’ll take a look at that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.