GNU Taler looking for F-Droid hackers

Dear F-Droid hackers,

We (Taler Systems SA/The GNU Project) are looking to hire software developers (volunteers also welcome) to write Free Software for F-Droid, specifically user interfaces for GNU Taler (https://taler.net/
– Oh, and before you worry: no blockchain, we’re not a crypto-currency).

We have flexibility with respect to to location (ideal would be Berlin, Luxembourg or Switzerland). Part-time/full-time employment or contract work are also generally possible, but full-time would be preferred.
Overall, we are looking for the following skills:

• MUST: F-droid application developer (Java/Kotlin, mostly UI).
    [Note: no Google Play, resulting app must work on F-Droid.]
  • Bonus: Knowledge of networking stacks (NFC, REST) or cryptography would be helpful, but is really not required as the crypto is finished)
  • Bonus: Cross-platform development ability for iOS would be a plus
    [Note: we will dual-license to be able to be listed in the App store, but recommend users to jail break and use GPL edition.]
  • Bonus: UI/UX design experience

If you have any of these skills and want to work on privacy-enhancing Free Software, please contact me with a description of your skills, preferred type of employment (full time, part time, contract), current
location, and whether relocation is conceivable for you.

If you are interested in the specifics of the licensing method for GNU Taler, you can see the copyright agreement we generally use here:
GNUnet
(Key points: You get to keep a non-exclusive copyright for your contributions, and we warrant that we will always make all releases at least also available under a FSF-approved Free Software license, but are allowed to dual-license IF binaries are bit-wise identical to Free Software version.)

Thanks!

Christian
p.s.: you can send applications to jobs@taler.net

7 Likes

Hope, someone comes up soon. :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

Hi there.

My name is Belén. I am interaction designer (which means I do what you’ve called “UI/UX design” in your post). I am based in London.

I know how difficult it is to find developers who are also familiar with the fundamentals of human-centred design (which is what UX is all about), so I’d love to contribute to the design bits on a volunteer basis.

I’ve contributed to free / open source software projects before (e.g. OpenEmbedded, Patchwork), and I am a founding member of the Open Source Design collective, a volunteer-led group that advocates the importance of human-centred design to the FOSS community, and the importance of FOSS to the mainstream design community.

I also am currently undertaking a PhD on digital financial services, so I am hoping contributing to Taler will also feed into my academic research.

You can see my CV at Belén Pena's curriculum vitae

And a portfolio that shows some of my design and user research work at

If you think I can help with the GNU Taler interface, please let me know and we can discuss how to get started.

1 Like

Please send an e-mail to jobs@taler.net: I can’t find contact information for you on your Web site anywhere, and we really should talk! -Christian

I don’t understand what GNU Taler is.

Like Apple Pay and others?

https://taler.net/ should explain it. Yes, it is a payment system like ApplePay, but with Free Software (official GNU package!) and with privacy for buyers (so nobody but you can tell where you spend your money, not even the payment service providers).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

There is an EU funded opportunity to integrate GNU Taler playments / donations into apps, specifically targeting open-source developers:

https://nlnet.nl/taler/

This topic was mentioned before here: GNU Taler looking for F-Droid hackers

But now there is actually some funding available and commercial banks willing to join this pilot so that it could actually be used.

I think this could be really helpful for developers wishing to collect donations for their apps through F-Droid, and a general framework for that once implemented could also be easily expanded for other non GNU Taler payment options.

P.S.: GNU Taler isn’t a crypto-currency but rather a fully FOSS alternative to services like Paypal or GooglePay.

2 Likes