Gadgetbridge app (bluetooth and geolocation)

I downloaded the Gadgetbridge app Gadgetbridge | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository and wanted to use it, but it doesn’t want to search for the device via bluetooth without permission to find location. This is normal?
For example, I have the official “mi fit” watch app installed and it works fine without asking or asking Android permission to locate.

Why does mi fit work and Gadgetbridge doesn’t work without geolocation? Is this app definitely not collecting or sending data?

doesn’t want to search for the device via bluetooth without permission to find location. This is normal?

No idea how Mi Fit works, would be interesting if someone analyzes it.

Is this app definitely not collecting or sending data?

If some random person here will say “don’t worry, it’s safe”, would you trust him?

1 Like

Thanks for the information. But how does mi fit work without geo-location? My location is always turned off and the application works fine.

Mi Fit has 3 related permissions that Gadgetbridge doesn’t have.
ACCESS_LOCATION_EXTRA_COMMANDS
ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
ACCESS_WIFI_STATE

They may use NETWORK_STATE to do the same job, using their own WiFi / Radio / BT database, so the user’s decision doesn’t really matter. I’m just throwing out ideas without really knowing, but I’d expect anything from Xioami.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.