FSF-funded call for white papers on philosophical and legal questions around Copilot

Get some…

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/fsf-funded-call-for-white-papers-on-philosophical-and-legal-questions-around-copilot

The copyrights FSF wants to apply to web pages and writings almost makes me want to get a law degree and argue about “Fair use” . :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi, @anon46495926, I don’t get it, could you please elaborate a little on the subject?
TIA!

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) already “urges free software developers not to host their code on [Microsoft’s] GitHub.”

Now FSF is concerned about Copilot at GitHub. Copilot is a “service” that scans software on Github, analyzes it, and uses it to suggest software “snipits” to developers. See link for more details.

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is giving $500 awards to authors of “white papers” that FSF chooses to publish. The general subject is “Copilot’s effect on free software.” See link for more details.

Regarding copyrights FSF wants to apply to web pages, law degree and fair uses: FSF publishes many writings, like the linked article, with “Creative Commons, Attribution-NoDerivatives” license added to their copyright notice. NoDerivatives means: “If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.” In my non-lawyer opinion, this is an over-extension of copyright law, and is not consistent with my understanding of free software philosophy. I should be able to take that web page, mark it up with strike-outs and insertions, and publish it as a better (in my opinion) version, for example. Why FSF supports this for software, but not for writings, seems contradictory.

See Various Licenses and Comments about Them - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation for info on the “Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives” license. Other than that, the FSF agrees that the CC-BY-ND license is nonfree.

1 Like

It’s the height of hubris and arrogance to believe your opinions are superior in all subject areas. “Pride goes before destruction” as we have seen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.