FDroid sources don't update for 1 week

Hi, in three phones the latest Fdroid v.1.13.1 does not update sources anymore. Tutanota is the first app that shows up when I open the “latest” button at the bottom. After updating the sources (swipe down) the process seems to stop after 1-3 sec. Any ideas?

This is sadly correct.

The last deploy was on August 14th: deploy - F-Droid Monitor

Currently, F-Droid is building new updates: running - F-Droid Monitor

The problem is that someone needs to sign the .apk files manually (they’re signed with a key on an airgapped system) and there is only one person who can do that so sometimes there are… quite long delays.

The server is fine though, so it’s just… waiting for that team member.

8 Likes

Thank you a lot! This was very helpful. Havent known the procedure, so that I have learnt somethin new! So we just need to wait a bit more. I’m fine with that. :slight_smile: Have a nice weekend

2 Likes

Came here with the same question and didn’t know that either. Perfectly fine by me as well, person has to be able to take a few weeks off sometimes, no worries!

Does make me wonder about the bus factor though. I checked some links on the docs page and found that it’s Ciaran Gultnieks who’s got the key, but no mention of backup keys. To be clear, it’s not because I’m impatient, just curious in case something bad does happen to them and they’re out for many months or longer. Is there a procedure for that already in place?

The answer to the question if there is a plan is a resounding… sort of.

The current step is to make the signing setup more flexible and add support for a HSM (Hardware Security Module): sign APKs using wrapped keys with a HSM (#873) · Issues · F-Droid / fdroidserver · GitLab

That should increase flexibility and make it easier in the future to change who can and can’t sign the APK files.

Sadly, it’s not an easy task and will take a while. If Ciaran gets hit by a bus tomorrow, well, frankly, we’re in trouble. So let’s all make sure to not distract our bus drivers :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.