F-Droid update notification not working

Hello,

The F-Droid application does not detect or notify that a newer version of the application is available on the F-Droid repository.

My procedure:

• Prepare my own F-Droid repository hosted on GitLab, which contains multiple versions of one application (for example xyz.apk):
    • xyz_1.1.1.apk
    • xyz_1.2.1.apk
    • xyz_1.3.1.apk
  • Configure xyz.yml file for the xyz application in the metadata directory to use xyz_1.1.1.apk application as follows:
    • AutoUpdateMode: Version %v
    • UpdateCheckMode: None
    • CurrentVersion: 1.1.1
    • CurrentVersionCode: 1
  • Commit my F-Droid repo to the master branch in GitLab (without any tag)
  • Add my own repository to F-Droid application
  • Install xyz application to Android device with version 1.1.1 =====> OK
  • Switch Android device to home screen
  • Change configuration in the xyz.yml file in the metadata directory to use xyz_1.2.1.apk application from the previous xyz_1.1.1.apk as follows:
    • AutoUpdateMode: Version %v
    • UpdateCheckMode: None
    • CurrentVersion: 1.2.1
    • CurrentVersionCode: 2
  • Run the following commands:
    • fdroid update -c
    • fdroid rewritemeta
    • fdroid update
  • Commit changes of my F-Droid repo to the master branch in GitLab (without any tag)
  • I am waiting for more than 1 hour to see if my Android device notifies me that I have xyz.apk app update available to newer version 1.2.1 =====> ERROR - No notification has occurred on the Android device

Additional informations:

• The F-Droid application settings in the Settings screen in the Updates section are as follows:
    • Setting “Over Wi-Fi” is set to “Always use this connection when available”
    • Setting “Over data” is set to “Always use this connection when available”
    • Setting “Automatically fetch updates” is set to Enable
    • Setting “Automatically update interval” is set to “Check for updates hourly”
    • Setting “Show available updates” is set to “Show a notification when updates are available”
  • If the F-Droid application is running in the background and the home screen is displayed =====> The notification about the availability of the xyz.apk update was not displayed
  • If the F-Droid application is running in the foreground =====> The notification about the availability of the xyz.apk update was not displayed
  • The new version of the xyz.apk application is detected only if I manually perform Updating repositories in the “Latest” screen (by swiping down on the screen)
  • I tried with F-Droid versions:
  • I tried it on Android 8.1

Where is the problem:

• Is there a problem somewhere in my procedure?
  • Is there a problem in the F-Droid application that the service is not running in the background?

Known issue for a while now, as Google messes with alarms and whatnot.

F-Droid is going to overhaul that soon, keep an eye on: make manual index updates happen with every download session and get rid of index update timer setting (#2785) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

You’ve also read https://dontkillmyapp.com and disabled battery optimisations for F-Droid client?

1 Like

Yes, battery optimization is turned off.

Thank you very much for information.

If the update of the application is controlled according to how it is set in the F-Droid application, then it will be great.
Each user will be able to choose how often they want to check for updates to the application, or they can turn off the check completely.

When is possible to expect a fix?

I’m not holding my breath :slight_smile: soon