F-Droid Update Info for Dummies

As a layman, how can I find out information when F-Droid hasn’t updated apps recently?

When I open the F-Droid Basic app or look on | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository, I can’t see any update to apps that has been added since 25/09/23. I don’t know where to find out information about why it has been longer than usual.

I know about F-Droid Monitor, but I don’t know what I’m looking at. “Build Status” seems to be the correct tab, but I have no idea which of the links here is going to give me the information I am looking for. I clicked through some of them but didn’t find it understandable.

I looked at the F-Droid Gitlab, but there is so much information that I didn’t know where to look, and poking around Issues and Commits and Pipelines that I thought might be related did not elucidate me. It’s too much for me.

I have exhausted the limits of my skill/knowledge/ingenuity/brain power. I don’t want to ask here, but I don’t have many reasonable options.

Please give some help in telling me how to find this information. Thank you.

Apologies for the double post - I didn’t finish my post before it sent, and I really want to get the wording right. I used the least advanced language possible to avoid confusing jargon. I’m greatly sorry in advance if anything I said was offensively inaccurate or confusing in some way.

1 Like

FAQ · Wiki · F-Droid / wiki · GitLab has the info

Also, keep in mind that there are no ETAs :wink:

1 Like

Usually you can ask here or in the chat channels about a particular app, the general workflow is known but when an app was updated in metadata, when was built, signed, published, each step is not set in stone, it’s not on a timeframe.

1 Like

The Wiki page says:
“If you’re not-that-lucky (merge happened a minute after a build cycle started), it will take 4 days. If you’re very unlucky, Murphy visits in between with some problems… So don’t panic before 5 days have passed, please. :wink:

The F-Droid app and website app page show that it has been 5 days since any app updates have been added.

The stock answer is not relevant to my post.

Please do not mark the question solved again if you have no more to add. Thank you.

Maybe try F-Droid Build Status | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
This may help in user friendly manner.

That’s the same information as F-Droid Monitor.

Yes, true, but it is a bit easier to read. There is no other way that I know of.

It also shows on one page per app which are the last published versions, the last version in the gitlab metadata, so you can see if fdroid has recognized a new version tag.

What information do you miss?

Please state which app you are talking about, else the answer is above already.

Marking the thread solved, as there was no given explanation, and since the text in my post is very obviously not being read, I think the answer is “wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.”

It’s always disappointing when tech projects leave normies swinging in the wind - whether it’s Google or F-Droid.

Are we lost in translation?

And I’ve linked you to the explanatory FAQ: FAQ · Wiki · F-Droid / wiki · GitLab

What information are you missing that’s not in the FAQ? We’ll add it as needed, but if you can only talk trash to contributors we can end this thread.

I don’t think the problem is a mistranslation, no.

As I had explained several weeks ago, the developer FAQ says the main F-Droid repository is usually updated every few days and to wait until 5 days had passed before getting worried, and I had waited for 5 days before asking any questions. It does not say what one should do if it’s been more than 5 days.

You said I should specify which individual app I had a problem with, but my question was about the whole F-Droid repository, and I was very clear about that.

The only reasonable reading is that nobody was going to take my question seriously by that point, so I didn’t bother with a back-and-forth. A few weeks later, I went to close the thread and couldn’t, so I gave it a conclusion instead.

There is no trash talk. I am annoyed, yes, because the way you responded was disrespectful, but there is no attack on any person or on the project. I am not abusing anyone by finding the lack of genuine communication in tech frustrating.

This is all old news. The thread has a conclusion. I have now told you exactly why I came to this conclusion. You are, still, welcome to close the thread.

Not sure how to explain better than: “we can’t know”

The whole process, as the linked FAQ says already, it’s mostly automated, but, given the security needs, at least one step can’t be.

Since that step depends on an actual human. there’s no ETA.

Sometimes it is right away after building, sometimes it might take an extra day or two.

If we hit some bug in fdroidserver it might take a bit longer to debug, fix etc.

I’ve asked about “a certain app” because sometimes users wait for some specific app update, and depending on “stuff” it might come as the cycles end or might not be pickup, eg. Maybe it’s on manual update, maybe it fails to build or pass scanner checks, maybe it’s on an automaned setup but the developer forgot to update the version number so we don’t “see” a “new” version to build (this happens a lot more than you’d think or we like :person_shrugging: )

1 Like

Look.

I was not ignorant for reading that the development FAQ said to not panic until it’s been 5 days. I read it and understood it correctly, you just didn’t like the answer (demonstrated by you amending the time up to 7 days).

You were rude to make the assumption that I was ignorant, and you are continuing to be rude by attempting to justify your rude assumptions.

(As an aside, you wouldn’t have to spend so much time copying and pasting a link to the developer FAQ in other users’ threads if information was included in simple language in the General FAQ.)

I reiterate that my original question has nothing to do with the FAQ answers, as it is a very specific question. I also don’t believe you have an answer to it and that there is no reason to prolong this further.

1 Like

@Mor let me try and explain, of what little I am aware of.
@Licaon_Kter has correctly stated in the previous comment: “We can’t know”, which actually is the reality. His words may have rung as rude, but his response was logical and to the point as simply as possible. I too have trouble understanding a number of times. Look at my activity in Gitlab, and you will know, where I have asked one thing 2 or 3 times, because it really is confusing at times for layman. For me, I do understand few things very easily, but other stuff makes me giddy at times.

Hence, tbvh, it really is less likely to get the right kb toy for what is needed as per say. Moreover, it is not always true that it will be done in this amount of time, because in reality it may (may earlier too), or may not (maybe delayed a long time as well).

Plus, there is a known thing that reproducible builds are bound to break, even with the smallest code change. So that can be another point to take a note of.

Finally, honestly speaking, many may be rude in reality (exceptional ones only), but trust me, if you need the info, start ignoring and try to get around to gathering the answer for you. I do that a lot of time, since that is my goal. :slight_smile:

I know that it can take longer or shorter amounts of time. I’m not confused why the time is variable in general. Thank you for trying to help, but I don’t need that explained.

[quote=“vdbhb59, post:15, topic:23753”]
Finally, honestly speaking, many may be rude in reality (exceptional ones only), but trust me, if you need the info, start ignoring and try to get around to gathering the answer for you. [/quote]

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what this means.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.