F-Droid Twitter and Mastodon Accounts

Weird. Their material kind of reads like, “We’re going to re-implement F-Droid from scratch without ever mentioning F-Droid.”

That’s obviously a pretty bad-faith reading, but still, I wonder what’s up with that. More information would be helpful.

If we follow @gael@mastodon.social we should also follow (and nudge :smiley:) @todd@social.puri.sm

2 Likes

I’ll be on vacation mostly without internet for 3.5 weeks.

@NicoAlt @Coffee So I guess it’s on you to maintain the account. Anyone else feels like they need access to it?

2 Likes

Enjoy your vacation!

Yup, now it’s official:

we will provide an /e/ application repository! Despite lots of work, it’s not yet ready. We are maintaining a base of about 60,000 Android applications, synced daily, and have built a web-site to search for these apps and download them. We have started to develop an installer that we will build into the /e/ operating system. This will provide more information about application privacy, trackers, license details etc. This should be ready in the next few weeks. Until then, you can use Yalp Store and F-droid for sourcing additional apps.

Looks like it is an F-Droid whitelabel build. Checkout the screenshot on the right:

Also, I think we should be promoting Purism over eelo since Purism has a strong, clearly demonstrated commitment to free software. Its true that Purism’s mobile OS doesn’t use F-Droid since its not Android, eelo seems a bit fast and loose on free software. For example, their beta includes a fully proprietary maps app.

7 Likes

We’ve been inundated with questions about the SET antifeature. I sent out a general toot saying we’re aware of it, linking to the issue. I’ve pinned it so it stays visible.

3 Likes

FTR, I don’t think that just following someone on Mastodon directly equals promoting them.

Ouch. :confused:
Worse is that good alternatives exist.

1 Like

We hit 4K followers on Mastodon last night or early this morning. :partying_face:

The counter currently stands at 4002.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I disabled Twitter → Mastodon Crossposting again (and I haven’t been looking at twitter in ages, so it wasn’t actually used.)

The twitter account still seems to be useful to people for following the project and also for just @mentioning it when requesting an app to be published there. So I’ll just keep it around as-is and continue logging in there once every few months :-).

2 Likes

I just disabled cross-posting boosts from Mastodon to Twitter, only original Messages will now be cross-posted.

That way we don’t accidentally push things into twitter which other people didn’t intend to go there. I’ve been thinking about this problem for a few days and @anon99929151 apparently had the same thoughts here: https://mastodon.social/@anon99929151
I’m also thinking about periodically deleting all old tweets from twitter completely. that would then also solve the problem of any toots crossposted by us in the past.

Edit: Just gone ahead and vacuumed the twitter history.

2 Likes

There’s been some drama about the gab/fascist/nazi mastodon instance and how to handle blocking them.

Read about it here: https://mastodon.technology/@announcements/102316154360374712.

I read through it and I think we can stand behind that decision (even if I probably wouldn’t have personally opted for transitively blocking all non-gab-blocking instances.) It’s elaborated here: https://mastodon.technology/@ashfurrow/102320759299231341

1 Like

How does this affect F-Droid exactly? “We stand” because we host an instance? I dunno

If an admin chooses to federate with them, and we tell them “hey those are fascists” and they say “that’s okay, I want them to federate with me”, then that’s a problem for us.

That’s disturbing…so “they” decide…

1 Like

See here: https://mastodon.technology/web/statuses/102327462419907516

There’s nothing on that link, it redirects but there’s no post…

I think it is clear that F-Droid should not have any opinion about various non-F-Droid people wanting to ban other people. This community is founded around free software. The four software freedoms as outlined by FSF include allowing the software to be used for any purpose.

As for me personally, I think that the evidence throughout history shows us that banning political speech is not the right way to solve problems.

4 Likes

Also, if people ban other people because they do not ban certain people, then that is a surefire recipe for killing mastodon adoption.

2 Likes