F-Droid Twitter and Mastodon Accounts

@Coffee now has access to the mastodon account to announce the weekly TWIF and gather feedback.

1 Like

I have some questions on PR strategies of the Mastodon account. As I also have access to the two accounts and are more or less responsible for the Spanish speaking part, I wanted to ask how we want to handle this in the future. Should I only reply to Spanish toots or do we also want to toot things in Spanish? The same questions goes for German and in the future maybe for other languages.

I think it would be cool if we also use our language knowledges, although it could seem a little bit spammy to have three toots for one thing. Issues like this could solve that:

If we decide to do that, we have to find out a way how we can coordinate the translations. One way I see is asking here in this topic for translations of a toot to be posted. I would reply as soon as I read the notification mail.

Another thing is the question of posting links to “old” news. As the account is pretty young, some people maybe not know of some articles that could be interesting. One article that I have in mind and that is fully translated into Spanish is the one about activities in Cuba:

Can I toot about this in Spanish on the Mastodon account? Should I also post in English/German then?

Good questions! I’m new to this whole Mastodon thing, as well as to the deeper F-Droid internals.

I know you can filter out toots in the public timeline based on language. No idea what happens if you do one toot containing several languages… Might want to stick to one language per toot until we figure this out.

I’m all for that! I’d at least also post this in English. Not sure about German, it’s not particularily relevant to German speaking people and most of them know English I guess?

I don’t yet have an opinion for the more general question about tooting in multiple languages.

I’ve just enabled cross-posting retweets from Twitter to Mastodon. I did this because occasionally something interesting shows up in the twitter timeline which I then prodceed to retweet there. This way mastodon users miss out on this unless I manually copy this over.

I’ve configured the crossposter to post the retweeted content to mastodon though, without a link to the original Tweet on twitter. This way people on Mastodon will get to see the content from twitter but won;t be redirected to twitter.

Disabled again for now, because it’s a bit spammy when a lot of twitter mentions are inside that tweet. People seemed undecided about it. A lot of people favourited/boosted the crossposted RTs, others complained about them. :woman_shrugging:. Not sure how to proceed :wink:

You can’t keep all people happy at all times. I’d say if it’s clearly net positive, keep doing it.

:+1: for this.

Can you disable the @twitter.com at the end and put a (Retoot from twitter.com) at the end? Maybe people will be less unhappy about it then.

Just did it.

https://mastodon.technology/@fdroidorg/100134874645431631

In English, too:

https://mastodon.technology/@fdroidorg/100134886019667286

This would work with manually copying over tweets to mastodon. This is probably the best option for now, even if it’s a little bit more work.

Do PIN the latest TWIF :wink:

Unfortunately tusky can’t interact with pinned toots yet…

/me goes looking for his notebook.

Edit: done

Mastalab can do it. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

We are now at over 3k followers on Mastodon (and 600-something at twitter).

I also switched us to another crossposter (moa.party) because the old one kept getting blocked by twitter. I like the new one a lot better though, especially I could reenable crossposting from Twitter → Mastodon.
The new crossposter has a nice feature to hide anything that goes in this direction behind a “From birdside” content-warning, so people can decide for themself if they want to read the slightly jarringly looking crossposted content:

4 Likes

I just checked the feed, its great to see all that activity and followers. I want to add that I think the quasi-official @fdroidorg account should stay focused on things that directly related to F-Droid. I think that will make it a more effective communications tool. So for example, articles about mobile apps tracking location but have no mention of F-Droid seem too unrelated for the @fdroidorg feed.

I think the Nextcloud Twitter feed is a pretty good example: https://twitter.com/Nextclouders

I completely agree and I try to strike that balance. For the record, the linked article in: https://twitter.com/YalePrivacyLab/status/1029494509141467137 and the related mastodon toot explicitly mention F-Droid :-).

(I think one earlier one I boosted might not have, but that was basically screaming don’t use google’s apps, so I found it appropriate.)

Oh wow, I didn’t notice that the boingboing article mentions F-Droid. No link tho :frowning:

ah, I see, Sean O’Brian writes for boingboing :slight_smile:

Right, there was the original AP piece which didn’t mention F-Droid, then there were at least the Popsci and Boingboing articles both mentioning F-Droid (and both have a link, at least they do now). :slight_smile:

What is this? https://mastodon.technology/@fdroidorg/100560601303487601

@Coffee, @Bubu, do you know anything about it?