F-Droid detects a VPN connection as a mobile connection and do not load pictures

The F-Droid application detects active VPN connections as mobile data when connected to wifi.
This causes the issue that the application-pictures are not loading because the default setting of the slider for mobile is not to load pictures (slider in the middle).

Most simple way to try this out is to install orbot and run it as VPN. Then there is no need to get some VPN account.

I have not found this issue anywhere else. Is this issue known?

1 Like

Where did you search? Won't load image previews on VPN and Mobile Data (#2100) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

Can you try to update to 1.10 and retest?

I was probably not searching that good for this issue.
I was running 1.10 and had this issue. I have not cleared the APP-data Won't load image previews on VPN and Mobile Data (#2100) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab
Is this required? Because “sliders all to the right” for mobile data was already the known workaround.

Orbot “full” VPN mode on a couple devices. “Random” couldn’t connect errors happen. Random failures to display app images and screenshots happen. It doesn’t seem to make a difference whether “use Tor” is checked or not. F-droid 1.10 on both. Apps install, and sometimes f-droid says updates are available, so it’s all good. :smiley:

Edit: Update attempts are almost always only on “reliable” WiFi.

So you have both mobile data and Wi-Fi sliders all the way to the right in F-Droid Settings, right?

No. WiFi is all right, but data is middle.
Auto install is No (left).
Interval is weekly, sometimes higher.
Show available is Yes (right).

Do test with mobile all the way to the right too

Before changing it, with update of opencamera and torbrowser, images are displaying again in f-droid. Feels like a change on server or network side.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.