Exclude Google from my smartphone

They are few technical facts about xda that are not questionable: day after day, xda is the sole existing entity that actively defends GPLv3 obligations for :

• android kernel sources
  • twrp custom recovery
  • magisk system systemless-ly

for all known devices, with both dedicated and coherent articles plus forums.

Don’t believe you could customize android devices without this background support (not to mention lubrication with proprietary OEM’s vendor(s) that F-Droid cannot deal with…).

Nonetheless, if F-Droid would manage to farm build of Treble roms in the future, you will gain indeed some true independence from xda.
Thx to xda, @phhusson has bring up the whole project (!).

1 Like

I got three devices replaced with XDA devs custom roms. Motog2,Nexus7 and Spice a1.All these devices running without any g thing and only with apps from F-droid.

There are some great developers on the XDA forums, but XDA itself is just a commercial site. XDA is sponsored by Huawei, which does not even allow bootloader unlocking. XDA releases their software under proprietary licenses (XDA Labs, Nav gestures, One-Handed Mode, etc.). They’re anything, but software freedom defenders.

Also XDA’s privacy policy sucks:

As described further below, we may collect and analyze information such as (a) IP addresses, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, IMEI and TCP/IP address, and other information about your computer or device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, mobile device carrier information, the state or country from which you accessed the Services; and (b) information related to the ways in which you interact with the Services

We also collect and analyze information from your browser or device, such as, your operating system, plug-ins, system fonts, resolution and other data, for purposes of creating a unique profile or “fingerprint” of your browser or device. We may use this profile or fingerprint to understand and analyze how you interact with the Services, to customize content or advertising to you through the Services

Basically, they collect anything they can.

We may provide your information to individuals and companies with whom we have business relationships

Simply put: they share your personal data with anyone who pays.

The Services are operated in the United States and are governed by United States law

And also with some who don’t pay.

3 Likes

Let me add:

• AntennaPod for podcasts
  • Aurora Store (Play Store alternative)
  • Wikipedia
2 Likes

I found this one: Distributions offering Plasma Mobile - Plasma Mobile
Think that this one might work!

If you wanna stay on Android, though, try:

1 Like

thanks!! I think I know what to do now during the corona outbreak period! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.