DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

Just wanted to thank you for this project! I’m holding my thumbs that the (hopefully) future release of Fairphone 4 will turn out great.

I wish MicroG or something like that was officially supported, but maybe that will come one day if something even better is released :slight_smile:

Hi @SkewedZeppelin ,

I’ve been following this thread and finally installed your latest DivesOS on my OnePlus 7 Pro.
I had some questions, would love your help.

1. I know you removed UNIFIED NLP due to privacy concerns. Is there another NLP or an alternate method for me to install or get NLP on with your ROM? Downloading and installing NLP from F-droid isn’t possible as it needs to be a System App. Would love to hear alternatives on how to be able to get NLP.

2. I was successfully able to lock the bootloader, thank you for that, but when the device reboots, I get “Your device has loaded a different operating system”, and then it works normally. Is there any way to get rid of that?

Question 1 being the most critical, as on the same phone with LineageOS 18.1, I had been using UNIFIED NLP without MicroG, and the NLP really helps with a lot of quick location provision.

Sincerely,
Keith

@Keith_007

1. There is little actual benefit from it. And there are no replacements. It
    might be considered added back if the standalone version compiles again as it
    hasn’t for years. Bring back standalone app to life by erfanoabdi · Pull Request #199 · microg/UnifiedNlp · GitHub

2. This is expected and useful! You can compare the hash here to have some
    sanctity that it hasn’t been tampered with.
    Verified Boot Hashes - DivestOS Mobile

Thanks for the quick response.

So I would really appreciate if you can possibly in the future have an alternative to MICROG version of NLP.
I must have a way to get Network Location on the OS I’m using.
I really absolutely like what you have done with your build, but since there isn’t any NLP, it is not usable for me :frowning:

I cannot always step outside and get a GPS FIX. I must be able to provide to a few apps my location and a Network Location Provider works very well in those cases.

Maybe a different question.
How can I set / provide location indoors to my three apps that need it?

@SkewedZeppelin Hi there. Any chance Pixel 6 can be supported with your ROM?

@Freddie Maybe in the future, I recommend you use GrapheneOS on such a device.

1 Like

Thanks friend. Even with Play Services or not?

@Freddie
Play Services are not included by default on GrapheneOS and they are completely optional to install.

1 Like

What would you do? Go for Google services even though it’s sandboxes and get the notifications etc?

@Freddie
I absolutely do not recommend use of any such proprietary apps.

3 Likes

Thinking about @SkewedZeppelin what you said, do you think using another rom using microg might be better rather than grapheneos with no play services? I think protonaosp and calyxos have this option.

Can it be the recent flox builds (18.1) “ship” with broken camera again? :thinking:

And while I’m here again are you (still) considering support for the Galaxy S4 LTE-A (ks01lte / post 370) or do you prefer not spending time adding old devices (which would be totally understandable) but as I “manage” two of this devices (daily driver :muscle:) I always have the hope to migrate them from lineageos to divestos if possible :crossed_fingers:

Google Pixel 3 ‘blueline’

divested-19.1-20220613-dos-blueline-fastboot + divested-19.1-20220613-dos-blueline.zip

I installed seven different custom ROMs. Six of them started right away and could be set up without any problems. The latter even has a relocked bootloader.

DivestOS 19.1 was installed three times: twice via fastboot and once with the current Lineage recovery 19.1 installed. Each time, the reboot ended at the colored Google logo on a white background. After 10 minutes of downtime, I ended the scenario.

Device Info

p3bluelineuntested

The DOS 19.1 ROM is not functional until June 17, 2022.

is there any chance to have the privileged extension included again in the future - or is there another way to get unattended app installation & updates?

@NoNameNoFame
Camera is “working fine” on my flox still as it was.
Being only the included app seems to work.

@fossys
Thank you for testing, I’ve marked all Pixel 3 and newer devices broken.

@fisipa
I have no plans to add it back as it stands.

as i’m lazy i would love to have updates & installations without the need to click each installaton :slight_smile:

is the privileged extension still non-functional or is there a different caveat so you don’t want to include it?

i tried another approach with f-droid classic via setting the deviceowner - having the issue not being able to set the deviceowner. do you know why this wouldn’t work or is there a reason for blocking the change?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/android-f-droid-classic-and-the-new-privileged-extension.583129/

& thanks for your swift reply! :grinning:

adb shell dpm set-device-owner eu.bubu1.privext/org.fdroid.DeviceAdminReceiver
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not allowed to set the device owner because there are already some accounts on the device
at android.os.Parcel.createExceptionOrNull(Parcel.java:2381)
at android.os.Parcel.createException(Parcel.java:2357)
at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:2340)
at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:2282)
at android.app.admin.IDevicePolicyManager$Stub$Proxy.setDeviceOwner(IDevicePolicyManager.java:8714)
at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.runSetDeviceOwner(Dpm.java:203)
at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.onRun(Dpm.java:115)
at com.android.internal.os.BaseCommand.run(BaseCommand.java:60)
at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.main(Dpm.java:41)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishInit(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:399)
Caused by: android.os.RemoteException: Remote stack trace:
at com.android.server.devicepolicy.DevicePolicyManagerService.enforceCanSetDeviceOwnerLocked(DevicePolicyManagerService.java:9678)
at com.android.server.devicepolicy.DevicePolicyManagerService.setDeviceOwner(DevicePolicyManagerService.java:8713)
at android.app.admin.IDevicePolicyManager$Stub.onTransact(IDevicePolicyManager.java:3618)
at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1154)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1123)

It says right there ^^^

Remove accounts first then retry

Is it possible to chance wifi and like so few icons? They look trashy thats why im still using a10.

@Tanzin

This is not a ricing project.
If you can update, I strongly recommend you do.