DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

I understand and im just gonna install lineageos cuz i don’t have device which supports either calyxos or divest os since these two are the best option for me. but i will consider using them in the future maybe. but will @SkewedZeppelin make a build for redmi note 5 pro whyred?? idk, i mean it must be quite alot of hard work. anyways i will just install lineageos for now atleast. thank you so much for replying and have a good day sir.

PS.
Is lineagos for microG can be trusted???
I also need microG lol I’m tired now I searched so many things and still can’t find a good rom with privacy focused rom.

If your device is support from LineageOS, then you can consider a donation to @SkewedZeppelin and maybe he will appreciate it and help you to.

Hey guys, I don’t know how to get into XMPP room, so here it goes: I have a oneplus 6 (enchilada) relocked the bootloader and the rom seems to be working fine. However there is a problem (bug?) in the OTA updater. It seems there is a newer release, I have downloaded and “installed” it many times, but after the reboot the update still shows up and the build date has not changed. I have read a lot of threads but I cannot figure out what’s wrong. If this is a bug, its pretty bad, since people with an enchilada will be stuck. Any recommendations/help/ideas are very welcome. thanks in advance!

Hello @SkewedZeppelin
Please help, i want to install DivestOS on Redmi 4x DIVESTED-16.0-20220129-DOS-SANTONI
But I do not know whether this system works stable, for me it is important so I use this phone every day
Thanks

what you need?

I wanted to knows from people who installed the latest build DivestOS on Redmi 4X
I ask how the stability of the system is very important for me and that all components and functions worked as this is my main phone and I want to avoid problems, now on my Redmi 4X installed Lineageos 16. I recently knows about Divestos and I want to try
But in advance I wanted to know from those who install this rom the how sound quality , volume
and the microphone is very important for calls and to record on the voice recorder. microphone works?
And Frontal Camera for Videoconferences Zoom
Works Mobile Internet from the SIM card works?
It is also important that worked bluetooth , Wi-Fi, and the definition of the GPS location worked for a taxi order
Thank you in advance for your help.

@FreeOpenSource

Do read the

Disclaimer
Rarely will these builds be fully tested as we don’t have every device we build for, due to that these are provided without warranty and can damage your device. We are not liable for any damage done by using these, and you yourself will be at fault.

You are the master of your own fate. You are the tester of your own device. Have fun! And do report back your results. :laughing:

1 Like

@james79

Install Conversations (or other xmpp client), get an account (JID) on one of the better xmpp hosts

Follow the convenient link from the about page, to

xmpp:divestos-mobile@conference.konvers.me?join

XMPP Chat Room: divestos-mobile@conference.konvers.me If you have issues with the captcha please e-mail your JID to support+captcha izat konvers.me

@james79, there is no issue there, you simply keep installing the build you are already running.

h910

LG?

Maybe one of the LG devices needs a bootloader unlock code, and the service isn’t working? LG closing bootloader unlock program for its Android phones - 9to5Google

Post 600!

Edit: Strange. Now it shows post 599, but link indicates 607. DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security - #607 by anon46495926

Is there a way to see which posts were deleted?

Another poll, because many people are asking:

Should DivestOS include microG?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Of extra note: the latest version appears to have SafetyNet working quite well.

Thoughts about this?
https://nitter.net/GrapheneOS/status/1437380576055541761

1 Like

@Morgoth
I cannot port the GrapheneOS GmsCompat to all versions of DivestOS.
microG is indeed just a FOSS middle-man, all the apps will still interact with it using the proprietary Google Play Services library.
And while GmsCompat is more secure I believe that the, arguably little, freedom aspect of microG is still nice to have.

DivestOS for years has only included UnifiedNlp, not microG, which doesn’t require any signature spoofing hacks.
However the compile time support for microG in DivestOS utilizes a modified version of signature spoofing that only grants the permission to apps that are same-signed with the system platform key.

CalyxOS goes a step further and has a modified permission that only grants to microG, but that requires re-compiling microG instead of using the direct/official prebuilts.

Other ROMs like l4m or /e/OS for example will just grant the permission to anything that asks for it, assuming the user clicks through the prompt. < that is a major security issue

Some reasons to include microG:

• newer UnifiedNlp
  • contact tracing support
  • increased app compatibility with often proprietary apps if the user so desires

Some reasons against microG:

• one toggle to download and run proprietary Google binaries (DroidGuard)
  • maybe makes/keeps users more reliant on proprietary apps
  • the signature spoofing issue
  • if microG falls behind, apps can start crashing, you can see on their issue tracker this has happened a few times

My biggest concern is that in the past all options in microG were default disabled, but that appears to have changed at some point. Meaning users would have to opt-out of microG compatibility instead of opt-in.

Another issue is that microG appears to have gone up by 20MB, totaling 50MB. It literally cannot fit on some of the older devices/branches now.

3 Likes

Clear and precise as always, thanks for sharing.

February 14th 2021 Update
Will you be my build?

As far as I know, it’s already 2022 :blush:

:heart:

1 Like

@SkewedZeppelin

Any plans to:

1. Add support for Ginkgo (Redmi Note 8/8T)?

Unofficial R at:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-ginkgo-11-lineageos-18-1-for-redmi-note-8-8t.4202841/

I would assume R will arrive officially too since it’s officially supported device. And sure, R would be most welcome version obviously.

1. Package MicroG similarily as CalyxOS does, to be able to download flash that too after OS is Flashed. This would be handy for those who want / need to use it for some apps. Or do you recommend installling microG as it is and adjust some settings?

I’m currently using /e/ OS, quite happy about this, but there are reasons to consider switch. Do you think there are small chances that with DivestOS (which is user build unlike /e/ OS which is userdebug build) + microG some banking apps could work without dirty tricks with Magisk?

PS. I’m not yet expert with custom roms.

If I remember well, developer of Android 10 version said he didn’t want to apply for R official version

1 Like

Thanks! I had missed that one.

A feature I’m missing in DivestOS is an option to limit battery charge (e.g. to 80%) to avoid losing capacity too rapidly. This is very useful on devices that don’t have an easily replaceable battery, or the batteries are no longer manufactured. On LOS I was using batterychargelimit, but it requires root. There is also acca.

With no official support for root on DivestOS, it would be nice to have something included in the system image. As I understand the actual functionality that requires root is very simple, it’s just writing to a specific file in /proc or /sys.

Any suggestions how could this be done (securely)?

1 Like

That’s slightly out of topic, not to mention the time delay, but one can install system f-droid manually without rooting an Android device with Magisk or superSU
(though an ADB Root developer option is indeed needed).