DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

Storage should not be a big problem for this.
Yes I think @Licaon_Kter is right on that part, yet we all voted no :sweat_smile:

Yes, I like to have an opposing view for no reason. :laughing:

I answered no to the survey but if you read my comment immediately following you’ll understand that I did it more to resolve the issue brought up yesterday on the xmpp chat, and that basically for me there would be no problem leaving everything as it is now.

I will say keep it simple but useful, where doesnt need to be so tricky to install something like gps for navigation.
So good navigation app tools, and a good private and secure OS .

But unifiednlp is a subset of microg that don’t need signature spoofing that could be an issue

Hello, I wanted to ask who installed and tested on the Xiaomi Redmi 4x DivestOS
I am asking because stability is very important to me and that all components and functions work because this is my main phone and I want to avoid problems, now LineageOS 16, I recently found out about DivestOS and I want to try
but in advance I wanted to know the sound quality speech intelligibility
sound volume
and the microphone is very important for calls and for recording on a voice recorder
and front camera for video calls
does mobile internet work?
it is also important that work bluetooth, wi-fi, calls and gps locations work for ordering a taxi
Many thanks in advance for your help
I don’t often flash my smartphone because I don’t have much time now, so I wanted to clarify that I could flash it once and use it for half a year or a year

@SkewedZeppelin and what about to change lineageos.etar calendar for simple calendar that doesnt need an account to work?
seems that lineageos.etar calendar app supported links opening google.com?

IMO, it’s better to have as little apps preinstalled as possible. For me, it is somewhat frustrating to not being able to uninstall (without root) some default apps that I don’t need at all, only disable at best.

@PorFin
Etar works just fine without an account.
I have no intent on changing/removing Etar, OpenCamera, or Simple Gallery.

4 Likes

in Etar if you wanna create an event it is asking for adding an account , otherwise you are not able to create it, isnt?

I just found that you can have an offline account.

Can’t you add a “Local account”?

2 Likes

@SkewedZeppelin Could i make a request please for the HDX 8.9 (Apollo) build? I cannot make the adjustment myself as i need root access to the file system. Someone on XDA has managed to fix the wifi issues for it. At the moment i have to create a hotspot on my phone to use 2.4ghz as this doesn’t keep disconnecting:-

Some users on this thread (and also on the LOS16 thread) have reported WiFi connection problems which seem to be dependant on the make of router they use. I have tried to put all the information that I used to improve matters a little in one place.
Signal from a WiFi router is often a combined 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, both with the same SSID and password.
Typically 2.4Ghz has a better range than 5Ghz and is less afected by building structure. 5Ghz gives better performance but only at close range. The device automatically switches between the two frequencies seamlessly monitoring the quality of received signal.
The HDX tablets have a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor which seem to have some issues in dealing with multiple band WiFi and tend to suffer from dropouts and connection issues.
Editing the WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini file to change the way the tablet deals with the received WiFi signal can make an improvement to this.

Unhide developer options and enable root for tablet.
Use a root file explorer.
From root, navigate to :-
/system/vendor/firmware/wlan/prima
Use a text editor to edit:- WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

Change BandCapability=0 to BandCapability=1

0 = auto, 1 = 2.4ghz only, 2 = 5ghz only.
Changing to 1 will set a preference to connect to 2.4Ghz even if 5Ghz is close enough to be viable. 5Ghz has not been disabled but your tablet will not switch to it automatically. This should improve the reliability of the WiFi service greatly.

To increase channel width, find the entry :-

#ChannelBonding

And add this line underneath

gChannelBondingMode24Ghz=1

There is already one of those for 5Ghz, but adding the 2.4 Ghz channel bonding will allow the radio to use 40hz channel width on 2.4Ghz channels as opposed to the default 20hz (essentially doubling your link rate as long as your router supports channel bonding)

There is a greater possibility for wireless interference if you enable a channel width of 40MHz. In general 40MHz wide channels over 2.4GHz is not a good idea in areas with a high density of WiFi access points.
If there are only a few wireless networks to interfere with your own, this fix provides an easy way to improve network speed.

Save and reboot

And what about the Wireless app that cant be disable or uninstall?

I wanna ask also about the NTP , connectivity check and captive portal. I have been just reading about it in another forum ( e/ ) and I dont know how much info they send to G or how not need to worry about them.
WHat divestos uses?

Which wireless app can’t be uninstalled or disabled?

As for captive portal you can disable it

I agree, but what t does if I disable it?

wireless emergency alerts

I cannot and will not remove Wireless Emergency Alerts.
Nor do I recommend you attempt to remove it.
There is zero privacy/security benefit to removing it and only the risk of your life.

As for the other connections:
https://divestos.org/index.php?page=network_connections
https://divestos.org/index.php?page=privacy_policy
And 10/11 has a nice preset selection of DNS servers to use under the Private DNS option in Settings.

3 Likes

@SkewedZeppelin
I don’t have a GitHub account, so I have to ask here.
What about NetworkPermission not working fully as intended?
That’s what GrapheneOS site says about their implementation:

I’m sure that being able to reliably deny apps internet access is one of the most important features, especially in a privacy-focused ROM.

The guy that started that discussion on GitHub says HavocOS already implemented this feature. So maybe you can do it to, considering that you already implemented many important things from GrapheneOS?

Thank you in advance.

(sorry justsomeguy, I replied to your post by accident, and cannot delete and post again because of limited account)

Hello Greetings Sir, i really want to install divest OS but my device is not supported, i saw that redmi note 7 is supported my device is redmi note 5 pro can i install rom of redmi note 7 ??? is this possible thanks pls reply anyone please thank you…

No, you can’t install rn7 rom on rn5

1 Like

So my only choice is lineagos?
And thanks for replying sir.
Anyways thanks
I just unlocked my bootloader I was wondering whether lineagos is good enough or something better. I’m looking for a better alternative to lineagos
What do you recommend sir?

Lineageos is not the only alternative, there are several custom roms, although I think that if the official version of lineageos exists for your device, it is probably one of the best alternatives you can use. also if the official lineageos exists it is possible that @SkewedZeppelin (the divestos developer) is available to make a build of divestos for the redmi note 5 pro as well, but that depends on him. I have been using lineageos for 6 years with satisfaction and it is about a month since I switched to divestos that is since it is available for my device.

1 Like