DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

Thanks for the correction. I apparently misread the page content at Hootan (Hootan Parsa) · GitHub

iodeOS is proprietary last I checked.

See the whole lot of empty here:

No ROM is 100% clean. iodé.tech, a small crew from Toulouce, in the south of France (Europe), write publicly that they only make minor changes to the LineageOS code to make their own developments more usable. iodéOS is a popular distribution in my region and a valued alternative to /e/OS and LineageOS-for-mircoG. I know over 20 iodéOS users, but only one DivestOS user - and he is me.

Unfortunately the drivers are proprietary in any Android ROM (yes, we know the exception…), but from there to the ROM as a whole being proprietary software there are about 50 million steps.

I’m not talking about required device firmware or blobs.

LineageOS, CalyxOS, GrapheneOS, DivestOS, /e/OS, and L4M all publish all their repositories.

iodeOS only publishes one of their apps (their Firefox fork), forked device trees (from Lineage), and some forked apps (F-Droid and microG).
Their main feature, the blocker, is 100% proprietary.
Without repositories, all of their system changes are effectively proprietary.
It cannot be said there are only “minor” changes if there is no source to prove it.

Edit:
Furthermore iodeOS isn’t even publishing their Lineage repo manifest (what Lineage sources do they use? what repos do they have a private fork of?), or their kernels (do they make any kernel edits? hard to say).

Even further:
They note on their own site the license of many of the HOSTS lists they use in their blocker, yet many are denoted NC: non commercial use!

1 Like

@SkewedZeppelin, in detail, you will be right, because you’re the expert who can judge this better than I can. But the end justifies the means. And an CustomOS without OGApps & Co. is ‘50 million’ times better to me than a stock Android.

I don’t understand how you can have that username and make this kind of statements in defense of a proprietary software that (apparently) shares absolutely nothing to the community that made its project possible.

Kindly delete ninja spam, as it is a for-profit company with proprietary software and has no place here (because propietary, lucrative projects are okay if they are FOSS.)

1 Like

@Morgoth, If you don’t understand something, that’s your not knowing, not mine.

The French are trying to finance their costs through equipment sales. e.foundation sends its regards. The advantages for the ROM builders of having supported devices on site can be imagined by any layman, and the ROM users benefit from it anyway. The amount of donations is still small, as the team has only been in the public eye for 3/4 of a year. The CustomROM are developed after the work is done, i.e. in their spare time, and can be downloaded free of charge by anyone. Vive la France!

It was obviously rhetorical.

At least /e/ is open source.

For the rest…
I honestly don’t care about their story, and your post has nothing to do with what I posted.

@Licaon_Kter there’s a spammer here.

1 Like

@fossys

Jun '20

Even if nobody thinks it is the truth, I would have liked to report positive aspects, but this is the end of my DivestOS exploration.

Sep '20

I do not use DivestOS!

Sep '21

iodéOS is a popular distribution in my region and a valued alternative to /e/OS and LineageOS-for-mircoG. I know over 20 iodéOS users, but only one DivestOS user - and he is me.

It’s interesting to see how the tester, aka user, has changed their tune over a relatively short time!

But the end justifies the means. And an CustomOS without OGApps & Co. is ‘50 million’ times better to me than a stock Android.
If you don’t understand something, that’s your not knowing, not mine.

This Machiavellian attitude explains a lot. Many believe the ends do not justify the means, and the speaker/presenter/writer has the burden of knowing their audience, and is the one who is responsible for conveying understanding.

The French are trying to finance their costs through equipment sales. e.foundation sends its regards. The advantages for the ROM builders of having supported devices on site can be imagined by any layman, and the ROM users benefit from it anyway. The amount of donations is still small, as the team has only been in the public eye for 3/4 of a year. The CustomROM are developed after the work is done, i.e. in their spare time, and can be downloaded free of charge by anyone. Vive la France!

“The French” have been lying not giving a “full and accurate representation” of their tactics since Duval started tooting his horn about his master plan for selling his Big Lie*, about four years ago. Thanks for admitting a small part of the actual story. Rhetorical - if the development is done “after the work is done,” then why have they been advertising for hiring experienced Android developers?

*This Big Lie is the concept you can be more free from Google by using a “de-googled” ROM, then installing and using all the usual popular apps.

I’m sure “the French” are taking advantage of what you’ve learned by installing, testing, and using DivestOS. I look forward to seeing their large donations appear on DivestOS donation webpages. But not holding my breath. :laughing:

1 Like

otherwise @anon46495926 will get even more confused…

Of course, you’ve also to put in your two cents. Well, only the fossilized don’t change their opinions.

With “The French” isn’t Gäel Duval and not his e.foundation addressed. It was spoken of two two French teams. Well, you’ve lost sight of the context. So what!

@fossys

otherwise @justsomeguy will get even more confused…

Yes, please clarify: Is fos sys short for fossilized system tester?

With “The French” isn’t Gäel Duval and not his e.foundation addressed. It was spoken of two two French teams. Well, you’ve lost sight of the context. So what!

So some people see through the lies, horse doodoo, sock puppetry and dirty tricks to see truth more quickly. Others, “the fossilized” as you say, take longer, first denying, but eventually revealing more truth.

But is their “easy” installer? Edit: And shady app store?

Hello, arguing people.

The latest posts seem eristic for a casual observer.

Best regards,
m1k.

2 Likes

When someone spams projects B, C, and D with a nationalistic theme, in the middle of a discussion of project A, derailed discussion is likely. Proprietary projects more so. Socratic method isn’t all bad though. :laughing:

1 Like

AFAIK is open source but not free (libre)

And, if I remember well, it has proprietary code in some way, maybe some addons.

I don’t know and I certainly do not defend that foundation or its software.

Hello wonderful community!
I am looking for a phone which allows me to overwrite it’s verified boot keys and which doesn’t implement token based bootloader unlocking. While searching for custom rom’s I stumbled on DivestOS and the idea of locking the bootloader while having custom rom made me very happy.
My questions are,

1. I found a Oneplus 6 and it’s a wonderful device with a headphone jack :). It has an active community behind it and also it’s pretty easy to repair as I want to use the phone for very long time. I got worried while reading replies in this forum that the phone can become non bootable/hard bricked if not using recent firmware. Before I invest my money in the phone, would EDL (Qualcomm Emergency Download mode) save it in case I don’t do something correctly? For example I would flash DivestOS and I locked the bootloader with custom keys.
  2. In the DivestOS website I found out this warning about the phone “Uses the stock /vendor partition, making many of the deblobber benefits unavailable”
    Does that mean the deblobber doesn’t work or it only can’t clear the code in /vendor partion?
  3. Is there a universal guide for flashing and locking down the bootloader with DivestOS?
  4. What are your future plans for the project? Are there gonna be more security and privacy features with it?

Kudos for hard work you all have done to make this mobile OS real.

@chad

1. OnePlus 6 is a great device, hardware wise. EDL is a double-edge sword. It allows you to always recover the device, but in theory can allow a physical attacker to alter the system.

2. The deblobber in the case of fajita/enchilada uses the stock vendor partition. Leaving many proprietary bits in-tact that would normally not be available on DivestOS. I personally would not use it. Although DivestOS is probably the most secure/private ROM available for these two. This is something that can be fixed, but I asked the Lineage maintainer and they said they don’t currently have any plans to do so. (Maybe we can entertain a bounty :stuck_out_tongue:)

3. Bootloader - DivestOS Mobile

4. Such as? DivestOS mainly aims to not deviate too much, although I’m happy to do small things here and there aside from what has been done already.

You might instead want to consider the very similar OnePlus 5/T, but do note it no longer receives firmware updates since earlier this year, and Linux 4.4 series only gets official support until January next year.

Of extra note however, the OnePlus 6/T has very good support in postmarketOS, and may eventually be daily drivable in the future.

Linux 5.12!

Thanks for replying!
Sadly there is no way to fully harden a device so I don’t mind having EDL mode which can also save my phone from doom in case I break something. I would love OnePlus 5/T because of not having a notch covering the screen top position, but oh well. As you said it already doesn’t get it’s updates anymore. OnePlus 6 is the best phone of all the phones I have seen and the postmarketos progress is promissing. There is actually another phone called Xiaomi Mi A3 which is from Android One lineup, but I don’t want to blindly buy it and seeing how bad Xiaomi dealt with the updates for it makes me hold back from it. What phone are you using now since you mentioned that you wouldn’t use OnePlus 6?