DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

The Google Pixel 3a (sargo), OnePlus 6 (enchilada) and Xiaomi Poco F1 (beryllium) devices are planned to be in my hands for several months so I can do more (boot) tests.

@SkewedZeppelin, it would be an outstanding result if we could prove thats bootloader of ‘enchilada’ and ‘beryllium’ could be locked again.

Hi there!

I’ve been setting up my d855 with DivestOS and everything’s gone well. One minor issue is the heating which isn’t rom related. If remember right, it was like that from the beginning since I bought the phone.
But, but. How much of a job it would be to lower the max freq? To 2265MHz or even to 1958MHz. Or would that even make a difference regarding the heating.

1 Like

@Antsu
How much is it an issue?
Underclocking is possible, and I think I already have old patches in the repo for it, but I haven’t noticed any issues on my two d852s.

Well, like I said it’s an minor issue. It isn’t a toaster luckily.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think d852 has 800 and d855 has 801 series processor. d855 has a bit higher cpu and gpu freqs. Like oneplus 3 versus 3t.

I could try with rooted lineageos before jumping to conclusions. But I’m not sure how sticky the underclocking is by handling it from userspace.

I am pretty confident that all G3 models are the SD801/MSM8974AC v3:

1 Like

Oh yes, you got that right. I was looking for the wrong model of 852. Thanks for the answer.

I think the best practise for me is to use it for a week to see the actual behaviour and not judging anything by couple of days usage.

@fossys

No, I’ve banned OSS 11 until further notice. I’ve experienced ‘CrashDump Mode’ three times with OOS 11.

LineageOS now has an upstream fix merged for the bootloader issues on the 11 firmware:
https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sdm845/+/315208

Furthermore, thanks to recent donations I have just bought a OnePlus 6T.
Hopefully I will have DivestOS fully working on it by next week.
And that whatever the fix is, fixes other devices too.
:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

:+1: :crossed_fingers: :v:

That’s hopeful news after days of silence. It’s no secret: developers with their own device solve serious problems of their own custom ROMS much easier and thus reduce the risk of losing the devices of external testers.

I use two LG G3 d855: 2/16GB and 3/32GB. I can confirm the experiences reported on the WWW: The smaller version with 2 GB RAM 16 GB eMMC 5.0 gets noticeably warmer than model with 3/32GB.

Ain’t that good enough to run Linux instead? :slight_smile:

Can you relock the bootloader on a Linux phone and start with verified boot?

I’ve tried Ubuntu Touch on OnePlus 6. Apart from the UBports installer not completing the installation on my OP6 and leaving an unusable ‘enchilada’, I switched back to a tried and proven degoogled AOSP custom ROM.

If @SkewedZeppelin succeeds in realising his intended goal (Relocked Bootloader | AVB key), the OnePlus 6/6T will belong to the small but fine guild of up to only twenty-five comprehensive »relocked bootloader | verfied boot« capable Android devices.

If Raspberry pi 1 is “good enough” to run Linux, then what phone isn’t? :laughing:

99.9999% of them since you can’t do this?!

Actually, many devices phones run Linux, but not all hardware “features” work. :laughing:

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices

1 Like

I acquired a fajita.
It was sadly the T-Mobile variant which required toying with EDL to get unlocked and onto the regular firmware.
tl;dr use EDL, flash 9.0.11, then 9.0.17, then 11, then copy slots, then DivestOS

The copying slots part is important, you’ll bootloop to fastboot without it.

Anyways DivestOS is functional from what I see.
Bootloader locking tested working.

One quirk is that enchilada and fajita, like starlte use the stock /vendor partition.
Which means you don’t get all of the benefits of the DivestOS deblobber.
ie. some proprietary bits that aren’t necessary are still included/running
That is something that could be fixed, but not something I’ll put on my TODO list.
Lineage attempted it a while ago: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_oneplus_sdm845-common/+/241604

I only adjusted one thing, which I doubt had an effect, the AVB signing command.

Pictures:

Knowing now about OnePlus doing dumb bootloader unlock restrictions, I likely won’t recommend OnePlus devices past the 6.
I also won’t recommend the 6/6T itself, due to the vendor partition issue.
I’ve checked all the other DivestOS supported devices, and it is only enchilada and fajita that are affected.

1 Like

That’s already a great success. Bravo!

Unlocking the International versions of OnePlus 3/3T, 5/5T and Oneplus 6 was and is (for me) a breeze and complication-free as with Google Pixel 2 … 3 … 4 … 4a 5G devices - no EDL necessary.

Updating Oxygen OS with so-called Official OTA builds is an unpleasant custom of OnePlus. That’s why I appreciate the stock FASTBOOT ROMS from @mauronofrio to appreciate.

FastbootRoms - Browse /OnePlus 6T at SourceForge.net
FastbootRoms - Browse /OnePlus 6 at SourceForge.net

OnePlus devices beyond the 6 / 6T are too expensive for me, which is why I don’t recommend them.

Google Pixel smartphones, even though official support from Google has ceased, are a more than good alternative. What could be better than depriving a Google Phone of Google Play Services and other Google monitoring spies with a custom ROM a la CalyxOS, DivestOS and GrapheneOS and enjoying a security status that LineageOS & Co. can only dream of…?

1 Like

The T-Mobile variants let you unlock, but you have to make an account on OnePlus’s website and request the unlock code and wait up to two weeks for it. EDL is simply a quicker, more beneficial (seems to activate the second SIM slot) method.

The above-mentioned international OnePlus smartphones do not require registration or an unlock code. fastboot flashing unlock or fastboot oem unlock Nothing more is necessary.

The situation for Xiaomi Poco F1 “Beryllium” and Poco F2 or F3 comparable with your experience and the T-Mobile variant. The usual waiting time is 168 hours. My longest wait was 336 hours. I have also experienced a complete account blocking by Xiaomi.

The Xiaomi models Mi A1 and Mi A2 with “stock Android One” show that Xiaomi can do other things if it wanted to. But these will probably remain the exceptions.

The Calyx team has managed to exploit a firmware bug in the Mi A2 and equip it with Verified Boot Locked Bootloader since AOSP 10 and now with AOSP 11. To the best of my knowledge, this is unique.

It’s good to know that there are smart people who can stand up to the big players with their know-how.

The e.foundation has been working on the migration to /e /OS-R since August '21. The current build e-0.18-r-20210831132813-dev-beryllium has been installed, booted and set up without any problems.

Pictures

dospocof1

Now I’m looking forward to the DOS build September '21 release of DivestOS.

You were able to boot immediately after installation, check functionality, update support and the possibility of resetting to factory settings?

Only then did you run flash avb_custom_key and flashing lock, right?

I flashed the key before booting.
Locked after testing.