DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

May I know what interesting history are you talking about? Calyx has also started to support devices like oneplus, but again, if i could afford oneplus, i would just buy a pixel and use graphene.
Edit:
TO anyone, I have redmi note 10 pro, which rom would be best for be for privacy and security? Currently on arrow os 12, thinking to switch to lineage 19.1. I know both are bad options but I don’t have any other option…

If you can believe anything you read… the founder of Calyx Institute was target and “gagged” resister of a National Security Letter. Associates have included co-founder of Riseup Micah Anderson, ex-NSA Brian Snow, and very conservative politician Bob Barr.

What do you mean by that? It’s no debate, he posts everything from his official channels/accounts.

what point are you trying to make?

Google Pixel 3a (sargo)

divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo
divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo-fastboot

First of all: I was aware of: DivestOS Device Status: Broken - but I thought new ROM, more luck? Who knows …

The starting point was a freshly installed stock ROM 12.1.0 (SP2A.220505.006, May 2022)

First I installed the current lineage-19.1-20220726-recovery-sargo + lineage-19.1-20220726-nightly-sargo-signed. System boots into LOS 19.1 system. All was ok.

Now i installed quick & dirty divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo.zip via Lineage-Recovery
The system boots and stops with the colored Google logo on a black background. For minutes nothing happens.

Okay, I boot my P3a into fastboot mode using the key combination, install Lineage recovery again, then the LOS ROM. System boots into LOS 19.1 system. All was ok.

Now i installed DivestOS via fastboot update divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo-fastboot.zip The result is the same as before: The system boots and stops with the colored Google logo on a black background. For minutes nothing happens.

Last but not least, I boot my P3a into fastboot mode using key combination again and install GrapheneOS release Pixel 3a (legacy) sargo-factory-2022072000 via flash-all.bat, lock the bootloader again and boot into GrapheneOS system. Perfect, everything runs as it should.

Summary: DivestOS 19.1 does not boot even in July 2022. Very pity!

Excellent browser! :smile:

Here are some suggestions for a unique logo to make it stand out more.

2 Likes

@StigtriX

I appreciate that, thanks!
Still seems generic to what is already there however.

I was thinking of persisting the theme of the fox, I figure a racoon fits what Mull is:

4 Likes

Is tracker “Mozilla Telemetry” in Mull Browser absolutely necessary?? Other web browsers based on Mozilla technology do not need it.

@fossys

Mozilla Telemetry

you mean Glean? It doesn’t compile without it.

Other web browsers based on Mozilla technology do not need it.

Like this massive unmaintainable patch that iodeOS made?

Causing them inconsistent updates and leaving users missing security patches?
https://divestos.org/misc/ffa-dates.txt
For what benefit? Removing code that is already disabled?

SkewedZeppelin, get off your one’s high horse. You may be an expert, but you are just as strong in criticizing other developers and making snide remarks about other aftermarket operating systems. Obviously the successful customs ROMs from /e/foundation and iode.tech are a thorn in your side.

Only - you yourself generate after month non working DivestOS builds for

akari, aurora, blueline, bonito, bramble, coral, crosshatch, herolte, hero2lte, lemonade, lemonadep, redfin, sargo, sunfish, xz2c

as well as a number of devices untested for months like

aura, pro1, d851, f400, h830, rs988, vs985, axon7, Z00T, d2att, d2spr, d2tmo, d2vzw, h811, h815, himaul, himawl, n5100, v1awifi.

For what benefit?

@fossys

/e/foundation

Successfully insecure and not degoogled: https://divestos.org/misc/e.txt

iode.tech

Successfully proprietary: os · GitLab (only has limited device trees and select apps, missing manifests, missing kernels, missing system)

edit:
Regarding device support:
Nearly all the devices I do have do work.
Any device that works that I do not have is a complete benefit to the community.
Devices that do not work are not a loss nor a benefit. But as the underlying scripts evolve they may work in the future.

Maybe? Maybe not! Talking it up is of no use in practice. SkewedZeppeli get off your one’s high horse.

h815 LG G4 INTL | DivestOS 14.1 / 7.1.2 / Nougat / END OF LIFE

How many non working builds were created for this h815?

After classic installation method of divested-14.1-20220709-dos-h815 the system boots only up to the divest logo from dark background.

An automatic reboot repeats continuously = bootloop. The ROM is not usable.

By the way: The CustomROMs from the developer @SteadfasterX for the ‘h815’ with /e/OS-0.23-p and lineageos-18.1 lineage-18.1-20220523-h815 have worked for years until today including the previous versions.

@fossys

high horse
…h815 have worked for years until today…

I could just quote myself:

I appreciate the direct and to the point language (from SkewedZeppelin)

I could just quote film:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

but I will try to be more clear and not as insulting as you are.

While I appreciate your testing, I think you may not understand “working” for a device in the same way, “successful” for a ROM project like this, or having integrity and standards, and sticking with them regardless, for people.

What you could ask is: What corners are cut, or what standards are sacrificed for that other ROM to boot? Is it relockable? Does it disable SELINUX?

You could also ask “how much would I need to donate for you to buy a (device here) and get it working by DivestOS standards?”

That’s just, like, my opinion, man.

Awesome logo!

That is cool!

What about making it a bit more like a racoon and a little less like a badger?

New take:

Mull - Head

3 Likes

Ooh! That both looks like a raccoon and more suitable for icon use too!

I love this one-man show. Android OS minimalist,transparent. Respects privacy as much as possible, as safe as possible. Developer S.Zeppelin seems to have an “allergy” to non-transparent companies:-) Thank you guys. May FOSS be with you !

Man, I respect other opinions, but I’m not interested in yours. Nonetheless:

My attempts to make donations to Tad have failed.

The new user would gladly and immediately support your work, but not with existing payment options via Stripe (bank card), Liberapay, Bitcoin, Monero. :arrow_heading_up:

My last offer to send SkewedZeppelin a donation in the form of a Xiaomi Mi A2 was wordlessly ignored for four days, after which I removed it. I’ve understanding for waywardness, but not for snootiness.

Feel free to @me, and I can provide the files if you are interested in using my icon :blush:

Edit: it is kind of sad to see Mull without an icon on F-Droid and eOS app store </3

@optimumpro

Hiya, welcome! :wave:

All DivestOS devices are signed with unique keypairs as generated by this script: Scripts/Generate_Signing_Keys.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

Devices have had unique keys since 2019/09/13.
Devices have had non test-keys since 2015/11/20.

And builds are signed here: Scripts/Common/Functions.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

Here are the verified boot enablement scripts: Scripts/Common/Enable_Verity.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab and Scripts/Common/Copy_Keys.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

And the public verified boot hashes, usually shown on bootup: Verified Boot Hashes - DivestOS Mobile generated by Scripts/Generate_Verified_Boot_Hashes.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

Also related the support files script: Scripts/Generate_Supporting_Files.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

And the WebView script: Files · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

Because it may not be obvious, the WebView compile script: build-webview.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / Mulch · GitLab

Feel free to use them per the license.

My original post was a mistake and that’s why I deleted it even before you responded.

Having said that, I agree with others who say you need to get off your high horse.

You took it upon yourself to appear in one of my threads on XDA with negative remarks about my rom and at the same time promoting your own (you’ve been deleted there). Hardly a good behavior.

About DivestOS: Your software cannot be qualified as an independent development. It is just a small layer on top of Lineage. A layer that for the most parts contains some hardening commits from GrapheneOS.

Unlike Graphene developers, you have no control over the base rom. For example, you must wait for Lineage to merge security patches and often they are late. You can’t control their features, you can’t control their code. You must wait for them to fix their mistakes. You can’t implement features etc etc.

So, if I were you, I’d stay away from your ‘sniding’ others and concentrate on your own development.

Best regards.