DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

@SkewedZeppelin
Fingerprint reader seems to work (just a quick test, I normally don’t use it). Thanks for the info!

Sad… I plan to use that rom without gapps or micro g. So what would be the difference between divest and that rom with regards to privacy? I know that everytime I connect to wifi, it will ping google to check if i have internet.
Thank you!

@nix

So what would be the difference between divest and that rom with regards to privacy

Most aftermarket systems are horrifically insecure.
Can’t have privacy without some modicum of security.

Seriously use GrapheneOS if you can, otherwise DivestOS is the least worst for most devices.

1 Like

I can’t afford pixel, even second hand, as it is too expensive in my country. Plus I don’t trust Graphene as the owner Daniel Micay is a toxic and unstable guy and he might push a malicious update. The only best option I have is that unofficial lineage. Btw just curious, calyx without microg is not a good option?

@nix

he might push a malicious update.

FUD

calyx without microg is not a good option

Your device isn’t supported by Calyx either so that isn’t an option?

Not sure what that means.

I am just curious about your thoughts on calyx as you are an expert…

FUD
what that means

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Still, you shouldn’t trust anyone for anything important to you* if you haven’t experienced sufficient history of them being trustworthy in interactions with you, or others.

*Depends on your “threat model”

Calyx

Also has interesting history and associates with fertilizer for FUD…and only supports newer Pixels.

If you don’t want to carry around microG in your Rom, then you probably don’t want CalyxOS.

@SkewedZeppelin
By the way, is the XMPP-Chatroom (divestos-mobile@conference.konvers.me) still active? I tried to join via Conversations but its asking for a password; couldn`t find a way to PM.

@doktorbrausefrosch
There is a captcha, try a different client perhaps.
And it is reasonably active with 50-60 members.

@SkewedZeppelin
Nevermind, it miraculously worked without password vor captcha after deleting app data and trying again.

May I know what interesting history are you talking about? Calyx has also started to support devices like oneplus, but again, if i could afford oneplus, i would just buy a pixel and use graphene.
Edit:
TO anyone, I have redmi note 10 pro, which rom would be best for be for privacy and security? Currently on arrow os 12, thinking to switch to lineage 19.1. I know both are bad options but I don’t have any other option…

If you can believe anything you read… the founder of Calyx Institute was target and “gagged” resister of a National Security Letter. Associates have included co-founder of Riseup Micah Anderson, ex-NSA Brian Snow, and very conservative politician Bob Barr.

What do you mean by that? It’s no debate, he posts everything from his official channels/accounts.

what point are you trying to make?

Google Pixel 3a (sargo)

divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo
divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo-fastboot

First of all: I was aware of: DivestOS Device Status: Broken - but I thought new ROM, more luck? Who knows …

The starting point was a freshly installed stock ROM 12.1.0 (SP2A.220505.006, May 2022)

First I installed the current lineage-19.1-20220726-recovery-sargo + lineage-19.1-20220726-nightly-sargo-signed. System boots into LOS 19.1 system. All was ok.

Now i installed quick & dirty divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo.zip via Lineage-Recovery
The system boots and stops with the colored Google logo on a black background. For minutes nothing happens.

Okay, I boot my P3a into fastboot mode using the key combination, install Lineage recovery again, then the LOS ROM. System boots into LOS 19.1 system. All was ok.

Now i installed DivestOS via fastboot update divested-19.1-20220713-dos-sargo-fastboot.zip The result is the same as before: The system boots and stops with the colored Google logo on a black background. For minutes nothing happens.

Last but not least, I boot my P3a into fastboot mode using key combination again and install GrapheneOS release Pixel 3a (legacy) sargo-factory-2022072000 via flash-all.bat, lock the bootloader again and boot into GrapheneOS system. Perfect, everything runs as it should.

Summary: DivestOS 19.1 does not boot even in July 2022. Very pity!

Excellent browser! :smile:

Here are some suggestions for a unique logo to make it stand out more.

2 Likes

@StigtriX

I appreciate that, thanks!
Still seems generic to what is already there however.

I was thinking of persisting the theme of the fox, I figure a racoon fits what Mull is:

4 Likes

Is tracker “Mozilla Telemetry” in Mull Browser absolutely necessary?? Other web browsers based on Mozilla technology do not need it.

@fossys

Mozilla Telemetry

you mean Glean? It doesn’t compile without it.

Other web browsers based on Mozilla technology do not need it.

Like this massive unmaintainable patch that iodeOS made?

Causing them inconsistent updates and leaving users missing security patches?
https://divestos.org/misc/ffa-dates.txt
For what benefit? Removing code that is already disabled?

SkewedZeppelin, get off your one’s high horse. You may be an expert, but you are just as strong in criticizing other developers and making snide remarks about other aftermarket operating systems. Obviously the successful customs ROMs from /e/foundation and iode.tech are a thorn in your side.

Only - you yourself generate after month non working DivestOS builds for

akari, aurora, blueline, bonito, bramble, coral, crosshatch, herolte, hero2lte, lemonade, lemonadep, redfin, sargo, sunfish, xz2c

as well as a number of devices untested for months like

aura, pro1, d851, f400, h830, rs988, vs985, axon7, Z00T, d2att, d2spr, d2tmo, d2vzw, h811, h815, himaul, himawl, n5100, v1awifi.

For what benefit?

@fossys

/e/foundation

Successfully insecure and not degoogled: https://divestos.org/misc/e.txt

iode.tech

Successfully proprietary: os · GitLab (only has limited device trees and select apps, missing manifests, missing kernels, missing system)

edit:
Regarding device support:
Nearly all the devices I do have do work.
Any device that works that I do not have is a complete benefit to the community.
Devices that do not work are not a loss nor a benefit. But as the underlying scripts evolve they may work in the future.