Discouraged by F-Droid Censorship

You did read the description, right? Build Metadata Reference | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

1 Like

What is your point?

The fact you can specify a server makes NonFreeNet a no go. You are free to specify the address. If it works or not, that’s an upstream issue.

Just for the record: Husky is a fork of Tusky which does not do the blacklisting and is actually in the F-droid repo. It seems to me like a better choice to the unmaintained “FreeTusky”.

1 Like

For all those who want a totally uncurated app collection available via F-Droid, go setup your own repo. Any and all F-Droid users can subscribe to it and install anything that’s in there. F-Droid does not censor. We do curate which apps go into the default repo on f-droid.org.

4 Likes

I want F-droid reviewers to honestly tag apps that restrict users’ freedom by purposely blocking selected sites or rickrolling users to YouTube. I don’t want to have to personally review every app to know if they “curate” or censor my internet access.

1 Like

So now you’re just passing the euro :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m not, we are only packaging the app as it is. We don’t code it, or even using it. You are responsible with which apps you use, and if you have an issue with it please don’t use that app or try to PR and fix it or whatever.

4 Likes

Alright, confess, who did this?

https://framagit.org/tom79/fedilab/-/issues/498

:frowning:

This thread is painful to read, you have the patience of a saint

But what if…

>> This thread is painful to read, you have the patience of a saint
but what if we’re just bored?

>> Anyway I think I’ve made my thoughts clear, hope others…
We all might regret this, but OK.

Here comes a short book to steer off the dead-end censorship that I’m still having trouble how that exactly happens, how any singular or collection of apps can censor someone, when you’re free to install any APK you can download from literally any source you want, no matter how dangerous or dumb, and use it to communicate to any wifi bluetooth or cellular radio your antennas can connect to, legal or not.

>> Did you check all the apps source-code? Are you sure we don’t compile other apps that limit your freedom?

Hey! Actually? :slight_smile: True story, yes, I did that for the last Fenix release 84.1.4 or whatever. I had time to kill, and I’m familiar with the project already. A couple days back. Was upset about that dumb temp directory we can’t reach from the local u0_a* accounts but we can from adb shell, why fenix kept growing from 65M to 120M to 330M to WTH?! when user data an cache size stayed roughly the same?

OMG not just 25,000 censored sites but It’s filled with AdMob API and Firebase analytics! Not only is the Mozilla telemetry still there, you sold us out to Google!?! I hate you! (I’m kidding, dummies.)

Anyway. After running the diff and seaching the changes, whoever did that actually went about it the hard way! You can disable most of that crap without commenting it out or chopping, just make a non-release build. But then breaking compile, finding out what you broke, and re-enabling exactly the bare minimum necessary? Probably took hours. It’s a hell of a lot more effort. Not sure if I’m impressed or uhm that other thing. (although was curious if you had that time, why you didn’t fire up gimp and change ic_logo_wordmark_normal.png ic_logo_wordmark_private.png to Fenix vs Fennec?)

And here I thought you were just stamping an F-Droid logo image in there, and well, the aforementioned censorship and monetizing us to Google. Got to say, Kudos Fennec F-Droid and well done, maintainer. It did not go unnoticed and it is appreciated.

But this is all set up. The point being? I am guessing most of the repository users have never done anything similar, now after listening to the tone that goes with the supposed censorship I’m wondering if they can? What if the fear of censorship or loss of privacy is that they can’t code, they don’t know linux, can’t read java/dalvik, and think am and pm are something to do with telling time? Broadcasts, intents, listeners? who cares? is my phone secure?!

I wonder, when they say “I dont trust F-Droid” what if they’re saying, I don’t understand this stuff and I’m scared, and you need to reassure me.

So while I agree more text leads to more text, maybe there is a way to both allay their fear without getting drawn into a war where your words are used against you in a way you didn’t see, or pointless arguments where nothing is decided, and all they hope for is that you’ll get mad enough to block them, so they can go see? see? censored! via their new shadow account.

It’s a thought, anyway. Sorry my brain just shorted out and my battery is flashing. Thanks for what you guys do, censorship and all. You contrarians, well, keep being contrary I guess. :yo-yo:

Sorry a 2nd time because I know I should have let this thread die. Freaking COVID stress mixed with whatever tomorrow (01/20) is going to bring… sigh. Apologies.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.