Can't install apps via F-Droid

One step at a time. I didn’t mean to say it was necessarily easy, a migration to Marshmello is implied. And that’s just to get rid of the “ancient android” warning. The requirements are increasingly onerous if you want to actually target “recent android”, but the big requirement moving from 21 to 23 is handling permissions. This app has none. IMHO updating the build is a far bigger challenge but only because it means fixing the F-Droid metadata afterward.

EDIT: I was assuming autoupdate for this app (and better to avoid changes that break that), but that’s not the case, so I guess fixing the F-Droid metadata is actually a given either way.

Usually things are easier said than done, but sometimes its easier to just go ahead and do it. I anticipate your help will probably be needed later with the fdroiddata merge request (if I don’t end up on the hook for that now that I’ve basically volunteered).

No, don’t set F-Droid minimum requirement to 23 !
21 is a good version.
Rem: if F-Droid is set to 23, all apps in F-Droid lower than 23 (let’s say api 21…), will be less visible and not installed by F-Droid client, because users of 21 will not be able to install F-Droid 23.
This move to 23, will force devs to move to 23 !
Don’t do that. Lower is better.
If you really need to go to 23, you can take the code and update it.

There must be some confusion. The recommendation is to bump the targetSdkVersion from 21 to 23. It won’t have the effect you are describing (you are thinking minSdkVersion, which is incidentally set to 9).

Also, I am referring to a specific app (Verbiste, the one you see in the screenshot). Nobody here is suggesting changes to the F-Droid client minimum.

1 Like

Hum, " Nobody here is suggesting changes to the F-Droid client minimum."
It’s OK, I saw minimum somewhere! :upside_down_face:
And agree with you to push the target to 10.
BUT: actually there some issues with services (at least).
We need to fix them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.