Call for help maintaining the translation

So currently, I’m doing the bulk of the maintenance of importing new translations from Weblate into the various F-Droid projects (client, website, server, app descriptions, etc). I’m totally overloaded, so I’m asking for help with this task. I think it is something that anyone who is somewhat familiar with translating the F-Droid projects could do. And it is also a task that can be shared among many people.

Basically, each project has a way of importing files from Weblate into the git repo for each project. Anyone who knows the basics of git can get the files from Weblate, run the check scripts, then submit a merge request. That’s actually what I do myself. The gitlab CI tests make it safe to do. If the merge request gets the green checkboxes, everything is good.

I tried to document the process here:

Basically, once some submits a merge request with the Weblate updates, I’d do the rest. I’m also open to suggestions.

1 Like

Let me tell you what really sucks, I have the time to contribite some help, but no PC. It is as dead as a doornail and I dont know why. I Left an android tablet hooked up to it via usb, when I came back the PC wouldnt respond I did a hard reset and it wouldnt power back up. So although I would like to help all I have is my phone.

Perhaps it is clear for web developers :wink: I took a quick look at F-Droid @ Hosted Weblate

but if I understand correctly I should not do the translation via the above web but directly via git repos. It does not sound that nice but I’ll take a look when I have a little time.

Weblate creates a git fork for each translation project. You can track it like any other git fork. So the update process involves taking commits from the Weblate git fork, testing them, then putting them into a merge request in the fdroid projects. It may sound a bit arcane, but its actually not too bad.

Hi,
OSMAnd is doing this perfectly, all translations are pushed automatically from Weblate as commits on on their Git.
Weblate handles that perfectly and devs have not to worry about translation.
If some string is incorrect, community translators are here to correct if an issue is submitted, redirect them to Weblate instance.
Regards,

Let me tell you what really sucks, I have the time to contribite some help, but no PC. It is as dead as a doornail and I dont know why. I Left an android tablet hooked up to it via usb, when I came back the PC wouldnt respond I did a hard reset and it wouldnt power back up. So although I would like to help all I have is my phone.

Hey, maybe not directly related to F-Droid, but for FOSS android apps, you could give Stringlate a try, it allows to translate you directly on your android device. Stringlate/README.md at master · LonamiWebs/Stringlate · GitHub (Disclaimer, I’m from the dev team)

1 Like

@ButterflyOfFire it is unfortunately not that simple, because there can be syntax errors in the translations that can cause crashes. We have some scripts and tests that catch most of those issues. Ideally, they’d be ported to work in Weblate itself, so the translator gets direct feedback on the issues. That requires someone to find the time to do that work,.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.