Automatically select a mirror instead of main repo while first refresh

I am posting this as the first impression of a regular user is that Fdroid refresh is painful. (myself being on FOSS for decades can happily wait but a normal user is not like that). Recently we had a small street festival where we advertised free software and it was frustrating to install and display fdroid on others’ phones.

• User install Fdroid app.
  • first open
  • download a simple text file with list of mirrors (say from F-Droid / mirror-monitor · GitLab)
  • or simple text file hosted with cloudflare or some big CDN.
  • The use a random generator to choose a mirror.
  • Refresh the apps.

Thanks for the great work!

Yeah, it is annoying that the first experience is waiting for the initial index download. I did some profiling on Google Play and its experience is the same, so its a hard problem. They certainly have a lot more developers that we do. We also thought about including and index file in F-Droid to have it instantly show something. That would be possible, but including the full index would add a couple MB to the APK, which is not great.

There could be an APK devoted to fresh installs that includes the index-v1.jar. Or perhaps every F-Droid could include a small, custom index-v1.jar that includes only like 10 apps just to show something while the full index update happens.

I think there are workable solutions here. The limiting factor is someone to do the work.

Yeah, it is annoying that the first experience is waiting for the initial index download.

I meant the refresh from main fdroid repo is slow. but mirrors are super quick.
The workaround is:

• install fdroid.
  • Disable data network
  • Open Fdroid app-> repositories and delete the main F-Droid
  • Add any mirror e.g: mirror.cyberbits.eu/fdroid/repo
  • Enable data network
  • Really quick initial index download.

Generally agree here but …
I would avoid comparing with big G. Mainly because regular people need to be already motivated to think and agree about FOSS - and when there is even a small inconvenience people’s interest drop to zero. (This like regular people that what linux on laptop to be perfect but still tolerate windows problems or so on! )

Isn’t the index always downloaded from the mai repo anyway and after that mirrors are used for the APKs only? @hans Or was full mirroring usage enabled in the meantime?

The index downloads first try f-droid.org, then fail over to the
mirrors. The APK downloads use a random mirror for the first try, then
continue to try all the mirrors until it succeeds.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.