Apps without updates long time ago

The main problem in the F-Droid store is that you will see a lot of apps without support or not updated long time ago, which means are not maintained anymore by depveloper.

If F-Droid want a be a real store solution, should have this kind of rules, apps without update in 4 years should be delete of the store.

Apps without update suppose a risk for security because Android evolve every year and the apps should be adapted to the new Operating System

Suggestion, clean the store and make a purge, delete all apps with no update or support since 2018.

Best regards

Suggestion, clean the store and make a purge, delete all apps with no update or support since 2018

I will definitely support this once all Android devices in the wild have the latest OS version.

3 Likes

For me it’s not so much the existence of the apps but that the user is exposed to all of them with very little assistance.

I might need to explain. There are currently about 3500 apps in the store. The only pre selection the user can easily do is the selection of one of 17 categories.
No chance to filter for e.g. apps updated since 2018 or updated at least twice, app size, permissions (e.g. read_calender, receive_boot_complete). And no chance to sort either.
So the user has to linearily check through all apps within the category…

An example of an easier problem (of comparable size) in a different context is addressed here:
Op Amp Selection
Much more assistance for the user…

(edit: was accidently sent too early)