Apps may show a different set of permissions on F-Droid website than in the F-Droid app

In F-Droid on my phone, Davx5 shows the app has location permissions.

But on the website, no location permission appears.

This is disconcerting until I go and look up the app manifest in the source code, where I see that the location permissions are declared in a <uses-permission-sdk-23> tag rather than <uses-permission> so I assume that’s the reason for the difference.

I fully appreciate that the exact set of permissions required by an app may be different from one device to another, and the website doesn’t know which device you’re interested in installing apps on. But I feel like there are better options than just completely omitting any conditionally required permissions. If the website also listed permissions with a label like, Android 10+ or sdk29+ for example, I think that would be a win. Is there any reason why that wouldn’t work?

opened: Not all permission listed on site but listed in Client (#731) · Issues · F-Droid / Website · GitLab

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.