App requests from users

Hello. I am proposing a few feature.

problem: user can see a proprietary app in app stores and can’t really find an foss alternative. Then user has no option other than using that proprietary app.

solution: If there is a place user can request app with certain features just like app in app stores. and when a developer did see this request and build an app. this user will be notified about this newly built app.

all these app requests can be shown somewhere in a website so that devs can see them.

Please let me know , if something like this already exists or anything need to be altered

If there is a place user can request app with certain features just like app in app stores. and when a developer did see this request and build an app.

Do you really think there are developers somewhere sitting and waiting for your request? Not entirely impossible, but usually free software is made by enthusiasts because they need this software themselves or companies because of their business needs.

Newbie developers sometimes request ideas for a new app, but even if they make it, you probably won’t like the result.

Please let me know , if something like this already exists or anything need to be altered

Check https://forum.f-droid.org/t/what-types-of-apps-are-you-missing-from-the-foss-ecosystem/

1 Like

Thanks for response.
I agree that there are less devs motivated to build something opensource with dedicated time and resources. But even if someone did, awareness of FOSS apps will grow with huge leap.

Anyway. thanks for thread.

Notifications alert administrator when a user has requested an app. Further, administrators can browse through app requests as follows:

1. From the top navigation bar in your application, choose > Add-ons or Manage apps
  2. Choose Find new add-ons or Find new apps
  3. From the filter, choose Most Requested.
    Requested apps appear at the top of the list, with the most requested first.
  4. Click the app to see more information about the request.
    The details view shows the messages submitted by users in their requests.
  5. From there, you can buy, try or install the app or click Dismiss to clear the request count and remove it from the requested apps list.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.