Any interest in including a rebrand of Signal?

Yeah I read most of it. I was mostly curious if F-Droid was interested in loosening their position in the case of rebranding, or in hindsight, maybe also a disclaimer of no upstream support.

F-Droid is not the problem…

Right, so they’ll drop your client from their network

Fair enough. I might just make a private fdroid repo for myself then.

The developers of Signal have made it clear from what I can see that they don’t want any forks using their servers, so it’d have to be a server hosted by someone else.

Considering how little people would probably use said fork when we have options for different chat apps which don’t restrict interaction with people who use different apps, this seems unlikely to happen.

1 Like

What is it re:

that you’re trying to solve by using Signal itself? Wouldn’t it be better to contribute back to the F-Droid approved project? :confused:

A messaging app is only as good as it’s users… Silence is great as an SMS app, but unfortunately, I have no one who is willing to use it, making the end to end encryption functionality unapplicable. On the other hand, I have contacts who are willing to use Signal. Considering the app is open source, end to end encrypted, and generally vetted, it seems like a better option right now that meets my privacy and freedom needs.

Unfortunately, I think most people value convenience over freedom, and it seems like people have more push back when replacing their SMS app, than installing a new messaging app that’s on Google Play (i.e. Signal).

2 Likes

Quicksy is in F-Droid and Google Play, uses phone numbers… you can guide your “convenience seeking friends to it”

Neat, thanks for the suggestion. Zom seems like a good option too. Since it’s just ONEMO XMPP, I can give them my jabber id.

On that note, I assume Zom hasn’t been added out of lack of interest. Seems like the blocker for it was cleared a while ago.

@Mystro256 Zom - Secure messenger based on ChatSecure is available iff 1 adds @Izzy’s IzzyOnDroid Repo (& Archive, if wanted).

See that Zom has other design choices, not trying to be a XMPP client per se, eg. calling OMEMO keys as “Zom codes” and such. My experience with it was rather poor, eg. not even connecting. Also, it’s the sister aff of ChatSecure (at least on iOS), and that is rather stalled for months already, plenty of issues, no one to fix them.

Again, I’d recommend the Conversations/Quicksy combo. The unofficial tag line is: Conversations for you, Quicksy for your friends :wink:

1 Like

JFYI Riot/Matrix is also a very good IM with support of phone numbers…

1 Like

There’s also Kontalk in F-droid https://kontalk.org/
Kontalk is chat within a community network where you sign up with your phone number.
It is more or less XMPP but with auth keys, from what I understood.

1 Like

Ok, that’s -just- much, too much. Not only are they “based on ChatSecure” (what does that even mean, forked?), but they’ve seriously gone way (!) overboard with all that, omg.

What’s it, really, based on: an assumption that noone will notice?.. Bah! :wink:

Anyway, that link from one post above is:

404 Page Not Found

… Maybe it’s for the best! :f

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t mean to spam, forgot what I had wanted to say. Probably what’s been noted in this topic: that we, perhaps, need more collaboration on improving existing projects and a lil’ less looking out only for oneself, meh.

Same devs, different direction.

Which one?

The 404 error was for the URL for Zom messenger on F-droid.
See here for more info :
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/im.zom.messenger
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/im.zom.messenger/lastbuild_1510004

1 Like

Afraid you won’t find any app in my archive. I only use that as “purgatory”: everything landing there is getting purged :smile:

Funny. The code rather looks like it comes from Conversations. At least a bunch of Conv classes in there. So does that mean ChatSecure is based on conversations?

Well, easily explained: ZOM is in my repo, not in the official one (so neither are there wiki pages for it in the official wiki). AFAIK that’s a bug in the Android client: whenever you want to share the link to an app, it doesn’t check what repo the app is in but simply appends the package name to the “official” base URLs. But as your post has the link to my repo: where do those 3 links come from?

2 Likes

No, but Conversations has the OMEMO things done right, hence…

metadata
&
wiki

It can’t be build though…(waiting for reproducible iirc)

Oh, I didn’t consider that. Of course, if the Metadata file is in our repo, those pages exist whether the app has a valid build or not.

Ah I see, I didn’t realize to check the wiki.

In regards to other comments: my point was that zom is free, easy to setup, and on the google play store. So it’s a low barrier for someone to start chatting with me via onemo xmpp. Quicksy would be the other option.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.