An app to manage sim card contacts?

Hello,
With Lineageos14, I can not erase/export contacts from/to sim card. Are there any applications to manage sim card contacts in fdroid ?
Thanks for suggestions.

Hello,

you can try : contacts from https://www.simplemobiletools.com/
And it’s on fdroid.

I use it and it’s perfect.
But i’m not sure you can exports contact from the sim because i don’t use.

Thanks.
I tried contacts but it does not seem to manage contacts from/to sim card.

Arf, sorry , i think it was good :wink:
I look for an other solution for you.

Is there some specific reason you want to store your contacts on your SIM card? The functionality is pretty limited.

That said, I can’t seem to see any FOSS app that can manage SIM card contacts. There was one on F-Droid, Dumphone Assistant, but it doesn’t work on modern versions of Android.

Android seems to have dropped support for SIM contacts somewhere along the line.
You can only import existing numbers by the following:

• Open ‘Dialer/Phone’ app
  • Dial this “number”: *#*#4636#*#*
  • Tap ‘Phone information’
  • Tap the 3 dot menu on the top right
  • Tap ‘View SIM Address Book’
1 Like

Thanks.
In fact, I mainly need to remove old/obsolete contacts stored in my sim card.

Hello @zorzi :
To the best of my knowledge, the ability to read/write phone numbers (and not contacts) to a SIM card is not software-dependant, but hardware-dependant.

First generations of smartphones had that feature, at a time when people were migrating from dumbphones to smartphones, and from numbers locally stored on SIM cards to contact lists stored in the cloud.

Newer smartphones generations took for granted that people now all had migrated to contact lists, and ditched the (now useless) SIM storage features.

So your best bet to edit your SIM-stored numbers is to find an old smartphone, and then use an app like Dumbphone Assistant (as @EmberHeartshine recommands).

2 Likes

Many thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

It has been asked before An app to manage sim card contacts? and claimed modern phones don’t even read contacts from the SIM card.

However I recently inserted a new SIM card and suddenly my contacts (using simple mobile contacts) were flooded with malicious numbers (high fees for zero service). Deleted them once from contacts, soon they appeared again. Now… fitting the SIM card into an old device isn’t trivial… in addition the SIM card can simply re-add those contacts if it is nasty enough?

There must be something better and I don’t believe I am the only one hitting this?

Where I live, my country provider allows deletion of sim card contacts without getting them back via server push on the IMEI or some kind of manner in which they push. I am able to delete them via the inbuilt apps too. Again depends on the smartphone and the apps if they cam read and allow it. One phone I had 6 years back did not even allow viewing them directly but only via emergency state on lock screen.

Do you perhaps have a backup such as SD Contacts on the phone which automatically restores old numbers?

No backup involved. For now I have edited every single of those numbers to something innocent and so far it didn’t come back.

Oh well… after a reboot the numbers are there again.

Luckily the beforementioned Dumbphone Assistant worked really well for me on Android 12. It sees only one SIM card but that can be worked around.

So my impression is that it is a pretty severe failure of Simple Mobile Tools that pretend to delete the contact but don’t.

In addition tools should not trust contacts coming from a SIM card without confirmation as those may not be under user control and could maliciously override personal contacts in the worst case.

I use Simple Mobile Contacts and have no problem deleting entries, nor do I get flooded with malicious numbers.

Have you tried deleting contacts that came from a SIM card?

None of my contacts came from a SIM card. All were entered manually when I bought the phone.