What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Thanks @Licaon_Kter, but I really like that Trebuchet has a sliding alphabet index on the bottom of the app drawer.

1 Like

There is an app like that, RxDroid

Thank you @Morgoth, RxDriod looks like a good app but it won’t stay open, it keeps crashing on me.

Would be a good to publish on F-Droid all apps of LineageOS (like Contacts, Email, Launcher, Browser, etc) if the licence allow it, since it is based on AOSP.

1 Like

You need to ask upstream first. If they do not oppose the inclusion, open an RFP.

Would be a good to publish on F-Droid all apps of LineageOS

That’s impossible because apps developed for ROMs use AOSP build system, utilize private APIs and don’t care about compatibility with various Android versions.

In fact, each such app needs to be ported to be used outside of its native ROM.

3 Likes

I have found all apps of LineageOS in APK Mirror web page, I can download and install one by one, but I prefer to use F-Droid instead.

1 Like

@anon3527118
Are you running LineageOS?
All of Lineage builds are signed with the same platform keys iirc.

No, I have Android One (Mi A1) … just I can see that is possible download apps (Calendar, Browser, Contacts, etc) of LineageOS from APK Mirror and install easily in my phone.

I would like to have the possibility to find it those apps in F-Droid as well and see my phone like this:

Best regards

1 Like

DropSync. I was just looking for an open sourced option today.

Also some of the old school standbys that got kicked out when the whole archive thing started. Quite a few of them didn’t survive… and a handful or two were never replaced.

Topographic maps with tracking. OSMand murdered themselves trying to nickle and dime features. Now there are a slew of other options stealing their market share. Meanwhile, nobody ever built a hiking/topographic oriented mapping app which allows you to track your fellow hikers.

That’s off of the top of my head. I’d be happy to share which apps I still have to use the dreaded Play Store for, if anyone is that interested.

120% on the Google translate alternative. The original Babelfish project is a dead… fish. I tried to get the Brave browser folks to pick up the torch and run with it, but for some reason they thought it would be too much effort. I would think it would be dead simple with a leg up that big.

1 Like

Dropsync did what?

Standbys means what?

Trekarta + Hauk are not useful? Osmtracker?

1 Like

An open source app like DroidCam would be great.
It is an app that allows you to use an Android smartphone as a webcam on Windows and Linux (and Mac?).

There is Spydroid, but it loads scripts of Facebook and Google inside its app (Spydroid | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository). Also, it streams to vlc - but not directly to an driver that simulates a webcam.

3 Likes

EN: There is a new version of eSpeak running on new Android devices.

DE: Es gibt eine neue eSpeak-Version, die auch auf neuen Android-Geräten läuft.

Is it possible to connect 2 Bluetooth ear phones to one phone and get the sound to both?
Is there an app in F-Droid?

See the plugs on the rights: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Various_Audio_Connectors.jpg

With several YT channels migrating to Odysee video, due to restrictions in content imposed by YT, it would be great if NewPipe could deal with de Odysse videos too, or if there was a different app to do this.
Odysse video is a great idea, but their player still suxx… and it’s impossible to stream videos on slow connections, once there is no option to lower the video resolution.
The option to download videos, like you do on NewPipe would solve this issue.

1 Like

Maybe you could try out this : LBRY F-Droid | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
I don’t use Odysee, so my advice may not be correct.

I am working on this! Well, not exactly this, it’s a more general personal information manager and probably won’t integrate with the system calendar any time soon.

But it does use a SyncThing style sync algorithm(I might even add file sync to avoid needing multiple apps, and because SyncThing isn’t the best for public sharing), and I eventually want to add the ability to male any note or post into a calendar reminder(Or a map marker, among other things).

I’m just not entirely sure how UI should work.

Importing/adding contacts into a stream would be easy enough, I could just define a “contact” record type, the sync engine will happily sync anything you can store in JSON.

Come to think of it, contacts would actually be a really cool thing to integrate into a wiki/journal type app, because you could use it to write a sharable news feed with contact info for all the important people.

As for things I’m personally missing, most “hard/deterministic” things(As opposed to “soft/machine learning based” are solved), but I would really like to see a good walkie talkie app that works cross platform, uses well documented protocols, supports hot mic detection, preferably combines P2P and server, also does text chat for sharing a quick link, etc.

FRS radios suck. Ham is cool but can’t be used commercially and is not always worth the trouble( Speaking as a licensed ham!) if your family isn’t also interested. Plus, they suck in their own way, more stuff to carry.

A good multitrack recorder would also be nice.

1 Like

yes,i agree,It would be better if it was in NewPipe itself