Which messengers does F-Droid have available?

Wait, it is not? I thought this is it? GitHub - wireapp/wire-server: 🇪🇺 Wire back-end services

If you have some proof supporting the server part is not libre please make an issue on fdroiddata so we can tag Wire with the NonFreeNet antifeature.

You are right!
Server code is open/libre :heart:
Ideed, server & client of Wire app are available on their git repository and licensed under AGPL
They announce it many year ago. My bad.
Thank you for the good news :smiling_face:

Don’t forget DeltaLab the fork lol

1 Like

Fluffychat is disappeared from fdroid.

Another Conversations fork, for S3 hosting (is it "freenet?):

StoneAge (A self-hosted P2P messenger - you will need an S3 bucket to use it) - StoneAge | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

And, on also on Microsoft proprietary github

aTalk (XMPP/Jabber client with encrypted instant messaging and video calls) - aTalk | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Then there are also Jitsi clients.

Sadly Fluffychat versions before 1.5.0 had proprietary code in them so have been removed. 1.5.0 is now disabled because the F-Droid version apparently crashes on launch: https://gitlab.com/famedly/fluffychat/-/issues/942

Fluffychat should be back once that gets fixed.

1 Like

Also there is an overview of many of these here: Messengers - DivestOS Mobile

2 Likes

I’m a bit disappointed, because Fluffy chat simply disappeared without any trace.

In my opinian ther should be a notice about that.

1. If you have Fluffychat installed there is a need for a Warnung about that.
  2. If you search for Fluffy chat or open a Link to Fluffychat ther should also be a short notice.

I agree that it could be improved (feel free to make GitLab issues to discuss and track this if there aren’t any for this subject yet). However, given we don’t currently have support for showing some kind of message in these cases in F-Droid or the website it seems better to have a 404 page then to distribute a .apk that crashes on launch.

You still call Delta Chat a Telegram Signal fork too? Not sure what the UI used (from Conversations) has to do with the whole app (protocol is NOT xmpp)

Your fine description of the app does the calling.

Forked from Conversations
with communication protocol switched from XMPP to Cweb.

Is it more bad data from F-Droid?

Not “mine”: fastlane/metadata/android/en-US/full_description.txt · 2.10.5+cweb0.1.6 · cweb-repos / cweb-conversations · GitLab

Then again, if you choose to read it as “a fork of Conversations the XMPP Client” then it’s different from “Forked from Conversations with communication protocol switched from XMPP to Cweb” imho, tomato-tomeato lol

Where does the buck stop?

Side stepping aside, the unanswered question remains: S3 hosting is it "freenet? Or should Stoneage have tags?

Ah, the S3? Reading StoneAge Messenger - Cweb sounds pretty free to me, as one can decide to use that service or not.

eg: Storage Setup - Cweb says clearly: “Below are examples of configuring a self-hosted MinIO S3 server, and AWS S3”, isn’t that good enough?

Looks like promoting non-free network services to me.

Why? S3 may have been originally AWS-exclusive, but it’s moved into a “standard” with multiple implementations, of which one of them is MinIO, available under the GNU AGPL3. There’s no need to use a non-free network service.

1 Like

Can you recommend a good messenger on F-Droid?

Something with the functionality of whatsapp but does not require a phone number maybe?

Something with the privacy of Telegram?

Telegram basically doesn’t have any privacy, unless you use a “secret chat”. I wonder why they deliberately discourage the use of secret chats by disabling most of the features in secret chats… :person_shrugging: Most other messengers (including WhatsApp) ship with proper encryption by default – without having to manually turn it on, and without removing features when turning it on.

About which messenger is best, it depends on your use case. There are plenty of discussions about messengers on here, just use the search function :slight_smile:

I maintain a table here, most of the first listed ones are on F-Droid: Messengers - DivestOS Mobile

1 Like

My quote from last year:

Durov’s FUD is fun (and yes he can throw dirt since the other side is in the mud)
https://t.me/durov/145

“Telegram’s code is not open-source”.
https://t.me/durovschat/515221
Yes you can verify, if you federate you can’t pull tricks on you users anymore

“Telegram is not encrypted”
WhatsApp, on the other hand, had zero encryption for a few years,
Yes unencrypted just like 99.9999% of Telegram users, just like 100%(!!) of Telegram group chats

Oh, then you go double speak: unencryption is a Telegram FEATURE
really? https://t.me/durovschat/527081

Look at the security of Telegram at work: TechCrunch is part of the Yahoo family of brands
Oh wa- I meant Telegram the silo, not Telegram users