Where is the VLC app?

Indeed. For now, the stable is the 2.5.17, and the beta branch is the 2.9

If all goes well, next week the 3.0 version will be released, and will be the new stable. Now I must confess that we don’t really have a public roadmap. I’ll discuss this with some other developers this week-end

1 Like

No need for a roadmap, just a place where one can find out the status of already released versions (stable/beta).

1 Like

So far we don’t have anything similar, and it doesn’t seem that there is a plan for that.

What I can offer is pretty much:

• rule of thumb: Anything in the 3.0 branch goes beta for a few days, then is gradually rolled out to non-beta users
  • Feel free to email me if you have a specific question
  • There might be more details on the VLC for Android Google+ community (there’s usually a mini announcement which states if the release is a beta or not, and when it goes to staging)

I know that’s not ideal, but I don’t think I can do much more

@relan: is this what you are looking for? Tags · VideoLAN / VLC-Android · GitLab

It seems like there is a stalemate here. VLC doesn’t seem to want to reach out to help F-Droid build their app and F-Droid devs are burnt out from trying to get it to work.

Where is the best place to try to reach common ground? Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen says here that they are willing to help F-Droid build VLC from source when he says, “If this isn’t enough, I’m (again) available for help”. Improve the build recepie for Android (#19584) · Issues · VideoLAN / VLC · GitLab

Perhaps it would be best to articulate the current blockers to getting VLC to build using F-Droid’s build system in that ticket. Can anyone help enumerate the blockers? Is this forum thread and that VLC tracker the best places to try to finally get this situation figured out? I’m hoping to try to recruit some other people to assist with this, so it would be nice to know what direction to point them towards.

Lastly, afaik, VLC is the only video player that works with https://replicant.us and we at Replicant would prefer to not have to suggest to users that they enable the archived F-Droid repo to get basic fuctionality like playing videos.

1 Like

VLC devs improved their build system and were quite friendly recently.

The missing part is F-Droid maintainers’ time mainly. Please post merge requests instead of comments in this thread.

A Replicant user built VLC with the F-Droid build system and it finished without any errors. However, it wasn’t able to play videos. Not sure if it helps, but here’s a logcat from when they tried to run an mp4 file on vlc with the APK they built: https://www.hastebin.com/ufajecusew.coffeescript

The logs seems incomplete, it stops when the video ouput is being instantiated, although AFAICS the opening of the said MP4 looks to work correctly.

Is that user able to play it on a desktop VLC?

Hey that is my log (thanks @freekurt for posting it here).

I am indeed able to play the video on my desktop VLC. The video in question is: https://github.com/mediaelement/mediaelement-files/blob/master/big_buck_bunny.mp4

When I load it on the phone, the VLC cone just spins infinitely.

Hi, @Asara

Could you test your apk with a untouch android installation somehow ? You can also try by disabling hardware acceleration in the settings. In fact, because you are using hardware acceleration (through the OMX.SEC.AVC.Decoder) and a custom rom, it is difficult to understand if it would be a VLC issue or a Replicant issue.

Hi. Is there anybody working on this? I would like it if VLC can be incorporated in the official F-Droid repo.

Hello @chouquette

Since 19July2018 there is a v3.0.11 in archive repository.
It seems that everything went slow but fine. right?
Is going to be moved to main f-droid repo?

@relan SInce you’ve updated the metadata last, is there anything new regarding the status?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Reopening, since this is still an ongoing topic.

2 Likes

I think we can move VLC from the archive to the main. The recipie isn’t perfect but IMO we will be able to deliver timely updates. What do other F-Droid maintainers think?

2 Likes

The issue is What do other VLC devs think?

Some vlc dev approached us recently on IRC how they can help getting it better maintained. So I guess they are very on board with this.

@relan I have never looked at the recipe and build. But I’d very much like VLC in main :heart_eyes:.

9 Likes

I also need to find the VLC app and I was searching for it and I finally found it. Thanks

1 Like