Welcome a new Fennec F-Droid

I have blank new tabs, except for “Mull” at upper left and Private Tabs toggle at upper right.

Maybe it is from Settings, Customize, Show most visited sites: Off

That is what I have, too.

JFYI: I know that Firefox 92 is out. It brought several changes to the build process, I’m working on Fennec 92.

@SkewedZeppelin

4 Likes

@relan Thanks for your work. Hope they haven’t made your life too hard.

3 Likes

@SkewedZeppelin I’ve been trying mull browser lately and I’m having a problem with the openstreetmap.org site: I can’t scroll the map and use pinch to zoom, problem that doesn’t occur on fennec so I think it’s due to some of the about:config changes, is there a link to see the changes made to mull’s about:config? Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Sorry for the offtopic but since you had already been mentioned in the thread I took the opportunity to ask.

Seeing the same OSM issue for a while now both in Fennec and Tor Browser.

Yes, and what happened with noscript’s site-by-site controls? Where did they go, on mobile?

Edit: Zoom out, then double tap to zoom in to location of interest is a work around.

Currently I have installed on the same device both mull and fennec with the same configuration and the same extensions (ublock origin and dark reader) and the problem is only with mull. :man_shrugging:

@darhma

problem with the openstreetmap.org site: I can’t scroll the map and use pinch to zoom

Yep, I can reproduce.
privacy.resistFingerprinting is the cause.

I’ve opened a bug here, [Bug]: privacy.resistFingerprinting breaks touch gestures · Issue #21225 · mozilla-mobile/fenix · GitHub

Both Mull and Tor Browser enable that by default. I do not recommend disabling it.

@Licaon_Kter did you enable that in your Fennec?

2 Likes

You know I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tor Browser.

Yes, and what happened with noscript’s site-by-site controls? Where did they go, on mobile?

FWIW, in Tor Browser alpha 11.06a no script and https everywhere controls are back, and OSM panning works OK. TB 10.5.5 is FUBAR.

1 Like

Maybe we spoke about it in the past, but all the forks should have a different name to clearly identify them (and not New Fennec because what is new today will be old one day).

@hotlittlewhitedog

All the forks do have different names.

Fennec is the codename for Firefox for Android up until 68.
Fenix is the codename Firefox for Android 79+.

Fennec F-Droid used to be based on Fennec and is now based on Fenix.

Mull used to be based on Fennec and is now a fork of Fennec F-Droid.

Orfox was based on Fennec.
Tor Browser for Android is based on Fenix.

Iceraven is based on Fenix.

1 Like

Is resistFingerprinting currently achieving its design goal?

Last time I’ve read up on the matter, it seemed that that option would make the browser more unique, and thus easier to fingerprint.

@fernlover

Is resistFingerprinting currently achieving its design goal?

Yes, and it improves every new version.

option would make the browser more unique

Why would it do that?

That is not a question I would expect anybody who’s read anything about fingerprinting to ask.

@fernlover

Let me rephrase it then:
Why do you believe an option called resist fingerprinting would make you easier to fingerprint?

The entire purpose of the option is to make everyone using it fall into a set of buckets, where each bucket is nearly identical.

They can name a parameter something with the best of intentions. That does not mean that it works as intended nor any other way. Its just descriptive and better than calling it hoopla.banana.fishcake=TRUE. My experience is that I get the same results whether it is enabled or not. My mobile fingerprint seems to be unique by way of canvas and this feature does not change that. Others may get different results. Nothing funny, no misdescription it just may or may not work as intended for someone, everyone or no one.

Secondly, could I ask that you consider that this is moved to a new thread? Although this isn’t officially release news I follow this thread because this is where it happens to be. This might be getting a bit specific for a general thread?

1 Like

That won’t be necessary, I am dropping this, since it’s been going nowhere really fast, and my question was only meant to know more about the current state of resistFingerprinting in Firefox, not start …whatever that was.

My feeling is that it should be OK for general discussion to take place in this thread, though. If not, where else?

If anything, release news could be done through gitlab tags, or another thread.

My two cents, for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

My mobile fingerprint seems to be unique by way of canvas and this feature does not change that.

Canvasblocker might do what you are looking for; here’s a collection.

Also, I tried running Multi-Account-Containers and Temporary Containers without any luck so far. If anyone had success, any feedback is much appreciated.

1 Like