Welcome a new Fennec F-Droid

Does this work with Firefox from Play?

No it doesn’t. It beahves the same as Fennec.
But only since Fennec updated to 84.1.0. With Fennec 83.1.0 it worked still.
With Firefox from Play it didn’t work since the big update in August…
So something in Fennec has changed between 83 and 84 that was working before…

Yup, so better report this upstream since they…broke it :slight_smile:

I reported it back in September already https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues/14633

Nothing has been done and I doubt anyone even looked at it.

But why was it working fine in Fennec F-Droid until v83.1.0 ?

I use Keepass2Android_offline, and have same behavior.

1 Like

I have an idea that could solve add-on restrictions and need people to test it.

since Fennec/Fenix 84, you can replace the allowed list of add-ons with any collection from the Add-ons website. it can be done by enabling debug mode, following this guide. (add-on white lists… the direction that Mozilla took is diseased.)

this would require everyone registering a Firefox account and making their own collection. however, I created an add-on collection exclusively for this purpose. you can access it here. I need people to try to import it to their own Fennec instance to test if it works with many users. after you followed the above guide, add this custom collection:

owner ID:

collection name:
addonliberator

once done, you will see the contents of the collection in ⋮ → Add-ons → Add-ons manager → Recommended section. it’s short now, I just seeded it with some add-ons based on popularity and requests.

if it works, the next step is to find out how long a list can Fennec deal with, whether a list of hundreds of add-ons can be handled by humans (there’s no search tool, it’s all manual scrolling!), and whether Mozilla will shut it down.

this means that you post add-on requests here (mention me with an @) and I add them to the list. please, try to request only what you actually need, I don’t want to bloat the list to the point where it becomes unusable (see what I said above).

of course, this relies completely on me. for now I can commit to checking this thread once a week and adding any add-on that is not outright destructive/dangerous from a software security perspective. if this catches on, it may become too much work for me or more frequent updates would be desirable, at which point I’d be glad to share the owner account’s credentials with trusted community members who are on board with the neutral and libre approach of this. (@relan, I thought of you first as we already trust you with building Fennec, but it’s your call, no pressure.)

add-ons in the addonliberator collection were selected based on user requests, I DO NOT guarantee that any of them will work on your particular device/operating system/Firefox fork/browser version, or that they won’t cause browser malfunctions, data loss or security or privacy vulnerabilities. this is a volunteer project, provided AS-IS, and in the future I may stop the maintenance of this collection, or pass it on to other maintainers. first always do your own research, make up your own mind and keep backups of everything that is important to you.

3 Likes

Number or users shouldn’t matter. But number of addons does, because even if there are lots of addons in the collection, only the first 20 or 30 (can’t remember; the size was also increased at some point) will show up in Fennec/Nightly. That’s how it’s (badly) designed. I already experienced this with a custom addons collection the Iceraven fork uses (don’t have the link anymore). So the way to go is to create your own custom list, because an “all addons” list for everyone will only actually make the first 20/30/? usable.

1 Like

Can you add https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bypass-paywalls-clean/ to your collection, please?

1 Like

@relan, I thought of you first as we already trust you with building Fennec, but it’s your call, no pressure

I like your initiative, kudos for it! But I don’t want to maintain this collection. First, I don’t use any addons myself; second, I’d like to involve more people to Fennec-related activities. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

crap. if indeed that’s the case, then my solution won’t work. unless…

@relan, no problem if you don’t want to maintain the collection :slight_smile: your contributions are already tremendous. I’ll keep up with this for now. but do you think you could modify the Fennec code to display more than 30 add-ons from a collection? that could make this work.

Bypass Paywalls Clean has been added to the addonliberator collection.

1 Like

but do you think you could modify the Fennec code to display more than 30 add-ons from a collection?

I don’t see such a limitation in the code. Could you check whether it exists?

Hello @relan
One of the differences between Fennec F-droid and Firefox (fenix) is that the locale of add-ons doesn’t follow the locale of the browser. In this respect, Fennec F-droid is slightly less comfortable. Is this behavior a known limitation?

Please see addons are all shown in English (#22) · Issues · relan / fennecbuild · GitLab

if you didn’t find it, I doubt I will. I do remember a maintainer’s reply on the Mozilla forums who increased it from 20 or 30 to 50 because people were complaining. this line by any chance?

I meant, add more addons to your collection and check whether they’re visible in Fennec.

This relates to site permissions, not extensions.

Good afternoon:

First of all thank you for all your work and effort.

I am trying to make changes to obout:config and have them saved after closing the browser. But it is impossible, they always return to their original state.

For example entries related to Google or mozilla among others.

I also tried the user.js

https://git.nixnet.xyz/Narsil/mobile_user.js and https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

But it is impossible.

Thanks for your time and help.

Which entries?

Good evening @Licaon_Kter

The truth is that there are several, some of mozilla telemetry, others related to google, etc . . . For example

browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser

Disable Activity Stream feeds
Disable other sync settings

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.advisoryURL", “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.pver”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.advisoryName”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.gethashURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.lastupdatetime”, “”); // [DESKTOP]
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.lists”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.nextupdatetime”, “”); // [DESKTOP]
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.reportMalwareMistakeURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.reportPhishMistakeURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.reportURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.updateURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.advisoryName”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.advisoryURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.gethashURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.lastupdatetime”, “”); // [DESKTOP]
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.lists”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.nextupdatetime”, “”); // [DESKTOP]
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.reportMalwareMistakeURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.reportPhishMistakeURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.reportURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.updateURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.dataSharing.enabled”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.dataSharingURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.pver”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.gethashURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lastupdatetime”, “”); // [DESKTOP]
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists.base”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists.content”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.nextupdatetime”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.pver”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.updateURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.reportPhishURL”, “”);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.cryptomining.update”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.fingerprinting.update”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.malware.update”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.pishing.update”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.trackingAnnotation.update”, false);
user_pref(“browser.safebrowsing.features.trackingProtection.update”, false);
// -------------------------------------

Etc…

And some more that you can check when you try to put any of the users. A hug and thank you for your time and help.